Bully

• 5 Replies

uba

• Experienced Member
Bully
« on: October 27, 2011, 15:37 »
Hello all

Its been a long while since i posted here, I mostly find out what I need to know from trawling previous questions from everyone else lol :)

This time though I want to you all directly. One of our three has always picked on the other two, I have semi-managed it up til now using tips I get on here, the spray, time alone, time together but divided by a weld mesh partition. Its never fully fixed it and now since this moult she is going for it big time.

We are thinking maybe we need to rehome her as its been non stop for around a year now. Is there anything else worth trying first?

It seems strange as most of the posts here are relating to one chicken singled out as the victim, I have the other way around.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 16:46 by uba »
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bully
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 17:22 »
Think I have read that beak bits can be used to stop pecking.  Hope this helps.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 19:13 »
From what I have read here you could try keeping the bully separate from the others for a few days then when you put her back she will have to regain her place in the pecking order.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:48 »
I suppose the main question, is the bully Physically damaging the other hens (IE blood injuries?)

Hens can be pretty nasty to each other... if you replaced her with another more timid hen, you are likely to just find that one of the two being bullied, suddenly gets bolshy and attacks the other two.

One of mine is really nasty to the bottom hen, but when you get past my partners cries of “aww poor roady” the bottom hen sucks it up, still eats, still lays and still snuggles up with the other two at night.  So really alls well in the world of the flock.
I hate signatures but love irony

indigo

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:00 »
Hi
I had one exactly the same.  I bought her with another and they always got on ok. But i have never been able to put her with any more.  I bought a cockerel to try and sort the problem, but that never worked.  When her friend died, it was just her and the cockerel, which really wasnt fair on her!  So she ended up living on her own.  Although she had a good time as i used to let her roam all day.  I was given 7 other hens (owner went abroad) and thought it would be good for her to mix with them.  She used to sit outside their run (boasting that she was out and they were in!) So introduced her to them slowly and she was fine for 5 minutes and then started on anyone that came near her. She was gorgeous though - a real character.  Sadly she died 3 weeks ago - still miss her now.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 14:42 »
No blood injuries Lewjam so I think I will have to get used to seeing a semi naked chicken running around. We want some more hens as soon as we have money spare for another coop so maybe that will dilute the situation.

thanks all :)

xx
Help with a bully!

Started by beki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 08:39
by muntjac
xx
bully hen, need help!!

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 09:58
by francais
xx
top dog or bully?

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:50
by dollybird
xx
A bully!!

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 21:04
by Libby

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 35 queries.