Weed and feed lawn treatments

• 5 Replies

sylviaM

Weed and feed lawn treatments
« on: March 16, 2011, 14:36 »
We need to weed and feed our lawn - is this safe for the chickens?  Is there a product which is safe for them?  We like to have our hens wandering around the garden during the day.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Weed and feed lawn treatments
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 16:32 »
Not wanting to sound flippant but I think the chickens will do that for you! My ducks certainly weed (and mow) my lawn and the feeding goes without saying!

ON the serious side I think you will find that anything with a weedkiller in it could be toxic to your hens and they would have to be kept off the lawn for a time period. The manufacturer would be able to give you more advice and anything that was advertised as child safe would probably be a good place to start.

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42 »
The claims for child/pet safe are often once the product is dry. I don't know whether it would allow for the child/pet to eat the grass - it is not usual for them to eat grass, it is usual for chooks to eat the grass.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

wildy78

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 19:55 »
Hi

manufacturers usually reccommend that any 'grazing animals are kept off treated areas for at least 2 weeks to allow the product to be absorbed / dissolved.  Personally i think any chemical applied to the areas will be absorbed / eaten by the chickens and when you compare sizes to 'grazing' animals any amount could be toxic, especially due to the fact they will eat not only the grass but also the small stones / gravel in the soil. 

If you were to use one i would only use an organic feed and spot treat or hand weed as opposed to chemical treatment.
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05 »
I think the products tell you not to put the first two grass cuttings into your compost bin so I would not recommend letting your hens graze until you have let the grass grow and cut three times to be on the safe side.

You could keep them off the grass and put a roll of new turf in their pen to give them something to graze on.  Not sure when turf is available in the DIY shops, might be a bit early in the year.  I am putting off treating my lawn until I lay turf in their enclosure to keep them happy.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 22:41 »
We need to weed and feed our lawn - is this safe for the chickens?  Is there a product which is safe for them?  We like to have our hens wandering around the garden during the day.

I don't mean to sound rude - but why do you need to use these chemicals to weed and feed your lawn?  With your chickens wandering around during the day they will be doing some of your feeding for you, and perhaps you could use an organic water-in lawn fertiliser to give the full range of nutrients?

What kinds of weeds do you have in your lawn?  Can you hand-weed them, or just not bother and let them become part of the landscape?

Disclaimer: I live in NZ so I really don't know what your lawns need in the way of weeding and feeding.

xx
Are there any chicken friendly lawn feeding/weed & moss killing treatments?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 11:35
by compostqueen
xx
lawn feed?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 21:56
by babe
xx
Hens and Lawn Feed

Started by Tinkers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 14:27
by woodburner
xx
Grass feed and weed

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 10:52
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 35 queries.