Totally traumatised

• 11 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Totally traumatised
« on: September 08, 2010, 22:26 »
I've just come back from the vet - we've had to put Eggletine one of our ex bats down.
I came home today and saw she'd laid her first egg in ages even if it was a soft one - but then I noticed something was very wrong.  She'd had some kind of a prolapse but her whole oviduct had come out (the vet later told us) and was hanging behind her almost to the floor.
We rushed her to the vet knowing what he would say, but we just wanted to put her out of her misery...  he said the prognosis wasn't good and we should put her down to prevent her suffering, so we did.
I just feel so traumatised that this could happen.  Did we do anything wrong?  How could hens have such a bad "design fault" that in laying half thier insides can pop out?
I'm going to miss her so much - we've had our ex bats a year now and she'd only JUST grown all her feathers back - what a stupid waste!

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Re: Totally traumatised
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 22:40 »
So sorry to hear about your loss. 

You gave her a wonderful year and please don't feel you did anything wrong.

noshed

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 22:42 »
It's not a waste - you looked after her well and she thrived. Much better than what she would have had otherwise.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 22:44 »
sadly these things do happen - nobodys fault. As hens get older they lay bigger eggs and their muscles get weaker which is often why this happens. I lost one of my amberlinks last week to the same problem  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 22:46 »
You must be heartbroken. But I agree that she had a year of complete blissful living and that has to be a wonderful thing.

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 22:53 »
Im so very sorry to hear your sad news. You did everything you could to give you little chook a happy end to her days.
A big hug is on its way to you from France.

Mary.

tedsdad

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 23:04 »
I reckon we owe a duty of care to all our livestock,and you have fulfilled yours in full.I know it's a clumsy cliche,but true anyway,but if you have livestock,your going to have deadstock,you do your best and thats it.I've farmed all my life but still get angry when I lose an animal unexpectedly.   Best Wishes.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 14:48 »
Thanks everyone for your kind words.  We certainly did give them a great life, but sudden death is always such a shock - and I still think its a "design fault"!!!
I sat at my desk at work and sobbed I am ashamed to say - but am feeling much better now and will go home and give the remaining 2 a big cuddle.
Cat

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 16:15 »
So sorry for your sad loss Cat, don't be ashamed of crying I'm sure most of us on here shed tears when one of our girlies or any other animal we care for has to depart from us, I know we do

hugs from Wales
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 16:18 »
and on here it is nice to be with people who understand that a chicken isn't "just a chicken" but a super little being that talk back to us in their own way  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 16:59 »
Couldnt agree more Joyfull. I know it sounds very silly, but this board is my first port of call when anything happens to my chooks, knowing that you lot out there understand exactly what Im going through, and when your family are over the water, its great to have friends at your fingertips!

tedsdad

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 22:06 »
I used to have a dozen breeding sows,and I had a name for them all(and the boars).But I'd never name their offspring,they went to the abbatoir at 22weeks.I often struggle to explain this to people who look upon all their livestock as pets.I think you just do your best by them.When my favourite dog of all time had to be put down at16, the lady vet who wasn't even half my age told me he was just in pain,and had no concept of his own demise,and I was not helping him by looking at it from a human viewpoint.Right or wrong,I've never forgot this.

xx
Traumatised duck??

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 18:40
by ANHBUC
xx
Traumatised chicken??

Started by Emma S on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 17:50
by Emma S
xx
Traumatised hen - advice please

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 21:36
by Honeysuckle
sad
Chicken bullied and traumatised not eating

Started by GMM on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 07:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 36 queries.