What to do with all my cucumbers!!!

• 8 Replies

ian.ford

What to do with all my cucumbers!!!
« on: September 08, 2010, 17:05 »
 Hi Guys, does anyone have any ideas about storing cucumbers. I have cucumbers coming out of my ears and most of my friends don't need any at present. Is there some way of storing them. I could leave them on the plant but the slugs etc get at them. These are not the climbing type but laid out on the ground. They are huge and very juicy although the skins are tough and bitter. It would be a shame for them to go to waste. I can only eat so much!!!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
Re: What to do with all my cucumbers!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 17:20 »
Take a look at this link:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/category/vegetable-recipes/cucumber-recipe/

Lots of ideas for cucumbers there.
Val
Recipes Galore!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 13:26 »
Hi Guys, does anyone have any ideas about storing cucumbers. I have cucumbers coming out of my ears and most of my friends don't need any at present. Is there some way of storing them. I could leave them on the plant but the slugs etc get at them. These are not the climbing type but laid out on the ground. They are huge and very juicy although the skins are tough and bitter. It would be a shame for them to go to waste. I can only eat so much!!!

Yes, I've had to get a bit creative with the cucumber glut this year. I did make one discovery though. I have a veg glut thing I do where I chuck chopped up courgette, tomato, shallot and garlic in a hot frying pan and saute them in oil, makes a lovely side veg. The other day I substituted chopped up cucumber for the courgette and my OH didn't even notice any difference :)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 13:39 »
Nip the problem in the bud and pick them small and pickle them. Gherkins ! :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 19:52 »

Actually, I picked one big and sliced it up and pickled the slices. Don't know if it'll work or not, but it seemed worth a try :)

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 20:05 »

Actually, I picked one big and sliced it up and pickled the slices. Don't know if it'll work or not, but it seemed worth a try :)

I have never liked large gherkins (chip shop wallies) as they soak up far to much vinegar for me. Also the water content can affect storage if the vinegar gets diluted too much.
Small and firm rather than big and soggy. :)

agingchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 00:36 »
My dad gave me a recipe for cucumbers he used to braise them with ginger I tried it as a side dish to curry very nice
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

MitchGriffin

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 16:35 »
Hi Ian,do you like Indian food?,there is something called a RAITHA Hindi I think.Very easy to do and tasty.Chop some cucumber finely ,(I usually peel it first.) then chop some fresh mint ,you can use dried as well,but do it a couple of hours early if you do!,then add all to natural yoghurt and put into the fridge to cool. This takes the edge of of really hot curries , or makes a nice side dish to go with curry.Enjoy!!!.If you have to many to use do you have a O.A.P?homeless dinner club near by?,If so they probably wont say no to any excess .Hope these will help. Happy growing and munching Kind regards Mitch. :D

boosh

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36 »
Hello Ian
I also have a glut of Cues, Theres a recipe in Val H's book for Cue and Apple Chutney witch i'm going to give ago Today.
Plot Holder next to me Has a glut of Cooking Apples at home so An exchange of Chutney for Apples seems a fair deal  :)

xx
Cucumbers

Started by Ann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 09:38
by splodger
xx
Cucumbers

Started by seashell on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2021, 09:48
by Subversive_plot
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Dilly Dom on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 23:25
by Mrs Bee
xx
Cucumbers

Started by tosca100 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 17:53
by tosca100

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.