Number of hens allowed on an allotment

• 11 Replies

Veggie Virgin

« on: October 11, 2008, 17:44 »
Can anyone tell me if there is a restriction (in law) on the number of chickens allowed on an allotment?  I do know that you can't keep cockerels and you are not allowed to trade/sell your stock of chickens raised or eggs.  But I can't find any reference to a possible limitation re actual nbrs allowed (or not, as the case may be...)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 17:55 »
On our lotty site there is a restriction on how much of the plot you can use - only a third is allowed for poultry.

Check your contract because Im sure every lotty site has differing rules

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lotstodo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:23 »
At our allotments you can't give any more than half plot for poultry. We've seen ducks, geese and hens including cockrels and about half of the plot holders have some type or other. Some have them for eggs and some for meat, I'm still trying to talk the hubby into that one. We have a prob with thieves taking them thou and so have our 6 (3 hybrids and 3 pekin chicks) living in our back garden - although if nuggets starts crowing any more he's off down there. At the moment his voice is just breaking at 11 weeks!  :shock:  and he's limiting his practice to the once in the morning.

poppies

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:35 »
At the moment his voice is just breaking at 11 weeks!  :shock:  and he's limiting his practice to the once in the morning.[/quote]

I've got one like that starts crowing and then finishes off like he's being strangled

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 21:19 »
I would check with local allotment officer at the council,

On our site we were told 25 birds on 1/3 of the allotment but when I check with the council no limits on numbers or amount used on allotment as long as they have sufficient space.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 22:24 »
Our limit is none.

I plan to challenge that.

:D
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 22:27 »
I'm allowed a total of zero! :-( xxx

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 22:42 »
On ours the bloke the other end has 49 chooks and a cockerel. Nobody seems to mind and hes kept chooks years now

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 20:50 »
my run is one half of my plot an thats 10 rods i think ,. the run is 10 m - 6 metres .

the council have given it the  thumps up an want to bring other ppl round to see how it should be done  :lol:  :lol:  i only have 13 girls but am making up to 20 shortly.

i sell my eggs to other plots holders an i gave some to the guy from the council who deals with all the sites an no one has said nothing to me about not allowed to sel the eggs, but there is a easy way round that u just say ppl are giving u a donation towards the girls up keep  thats what i do .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 11:57 »
Hi all, ventured in here from the veggie side of the site as I saw the word allotment!  Be kind  :wink:

There's no specific law about numbers, as allotment plots vary in size and policies vary about whether livestock is allowed at all.  

If I recall correctly, the guidance for my council says there has to be sufficient space - and if necessary the council dept which deals with livestock welfare will advise or inspect.

We do have a rule about what percentage of plots per site are allowed livestock on (can't remember the details off the top of my head) - partly in an attempt to prevent attracting too much vermin to the site, I think.

FYI, re. selling of produce - the allotment legislation states that plots may only be used for produce for your own home (paraphrased) - i.e. not for sale.  Technically,  as soon as you start selling stuff, it is viewed as a commercial enterprise.  However, no-one ever bothers about small scale stuff like selling to other plot holders  :) .  I do have two separate plot holders on my site who grow stuff to sell in their restaurant / shop though - and the allotment officer is considering what to do about them at present, cos that's clearly extracting the michael  :roll:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sandra d

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 22:06 »
Nobody cares on my site. There are quite a few chickens, one or two cockrels, about a thousand racing pigeons and at one time, a few pigs. The rules say that we`re also allowed to keep rabbits. Every allotment is fenced off so nobody knows what goes on inside.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 22:28 »
Our rules say we can keep chucks but when I mentioned this to the chairman onsite I was told I wasnt allowed because it causes a rat problem?!?!    

They also had a flood a few years back and now use that as an excuse but I think they should re-word the rules that are handed out to us newcomers as it gets quite frustrating at times!

xx
Help with number of hens please

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:37
by SUTTY1
xx
Number of hens?

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 08:12
by joyfull
xx
Number of hens in coop

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 18:56
by ANHBUC
xx
do hens lay for a certain duration or lay a certain number of eggs .

Started by bubs on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 21:17
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.