Drinking Water

• 8 Replies

Greg

Drinking Water
« on: October 07, 2008, 21:06 »
Hi all.

I got three Khaki Campbells 3 weeks ago (now 7 weeks old) and am a complete novice and first-timer to duck keeping, but they are as much fun as I imagined them to be.

However, I've got a really basic question that is so simple but I can't find any resources to answer it for me.  They enjoy splashing around in a small storage tray which is fine for their age but they seem to drink more water from there than from the drinker.  So my question is, is it OK to use rain water collected in a water butt for their tray to play in and drink from, or should it be fresh (tap) water as I put in their drinker?  I have been told by a local farmer that he'd have thought the water should be fresh tap water, but admitted he'd never kept ducks so was guessing.

They get the water very dirty splashing around so I'm changing it daily at the moment.  We're on a water meter so hoping to save a few pennies by using 'free' water.

Grateful for any advice.

Foxy

Drinking Water
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 21:59 »
Not a daft question at all! :D  I am new to duck keeping as well and adore them!
Rainwater will be fine for ducks IMO -perhaps you could pick up a cheap water butt and use that for them? As long as the butt has a cover and doesn't become contaminated I am sure it will be fine. There are a few duckie people her who will probably give you some sound advice. I think it is Kate or Vember who use childrens sandpits and fill them up with water?

Kate and her Ducks

Drinking Water
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 00:30 »
Hi and welcome to the Hen House and ducks. Fab, aren't they!?

Mine get tap water but that is because my water butt is filthy. I think clean rain water would probably be better for them than tap and when you consider how much time they spend foraging about in mud and worse I can't imagine it could do them any harm!

They definately prefer their water clean though for both drinking and splashing so as long as it get changed regularly they will be happy.

Pictures are the law and hope to see you about loads in the future.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sassy

Tap v Rainwater
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:19 »
This is a good question as I have a 'pond', actually an old dinghy, that has filled up with rainwater whilst I get ready for ducks. Yesterday I noticed that one of the hens went straight to the 'pond' and drank. There was fresh water in the run I had just let her out of. The water is not particularly clean and would be even less so if ducks were using it. But it is my intention to keep the ducks and hens to gether so it is not something that I will be able to prevent.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Drinking Water
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 08:23 »
Must admit my hens will rather drink out of a muddy puddle than their water supply, but then our cats hardly ever drink out of their bowl they seem to prefer what's left in a bucket of rain water or they just go down to the brook. If animals won't drink our water then it makes you wonder.  :?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Drinking Water
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:00 »
my hens only use their drinkers if theres no puddles or dishes filled with old rainwater. also the cat will only drink out of a running tap (bathroom) but outside will happily drink from a water garden planter full of waterlilies and associated soil, geavel,dead leaves etc!

raeburg

Drinking Water
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 14:20 »
Quote from: "ceri green"
my hens only use their drinkers if theres no puddles or dishes filled with old rainwater. also the cat will only drink out of a running tap (bathroom) but outside will happily drink from a water garden planter full of waterlilies and associated soil, geavel,dead leaves etc!

Yup got a cat like that too! :D  When they showed a prolonged interest in chicken drinker I bought them a cat water fountain which has gone down a storm.  They still like next doors water feature as well but it has curtailed the tap and (yuk) toilet drinking!

poultrygeist

Drinking Water
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 14:57 »
If we have a very rainy day, the chickens' drinker is hardly touched.

The ducks get miffed if we don't put clean water out but then they only use our garden like a hotel these days. :roll:

Welcome Greg. As kate said, photos need to be posted. :)

Rob 8)

Greg

Drinking Water
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 13:50 »
Thanks all.  Valuable information gratefully received.  A water butt is to be purchased on the weekend (I contacted my Local Authority and they advised which stores give a LA discount on water butts and composters, so very happy).

I've got some photos on my camera that I need to upload onto the PC, will post when I have them.  I'm glad I took them last week though, they've hardly ventured out this week.  We had our windows cleaned on Saturday and I think the cleaner may have scared them somehow.  Just waiting to get their 'public' confidence back.

Greg

xx
not drinking much water!

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:49
by Craig69
xx
drinking water

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:47
by grinling
xx
drinking water for hens

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 20:58
by D.Bates
xx
Dirty Drinking Water

Started by Sheila D on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 15:18
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 32 queries.