Sudden death

• 6 Replies

CoopersCoop

Sudden death
« on: May 07, 2013, 15:00 »
Hi guys,

Sadly one of my lovely ladies 'Eddie' passed away suddenly on Sunday.

She wasn't ill, wormed regular , no fleas/lice. Infact she was completely fine 30 minutes before we found her, she had laid an egg and was rosey around the garden like normal.

I've read that it may have possibly been a heart attack? How likely is this and would she had suffered? I feel heartbroken that she has left us so suddenly. We found her lying on her belly with her neck out, in her favorite dustbath hole.

If anyone can help me I'd be forever grateful. I feel so sad she has gone. She had such a massive personality.

Thanks,

Charlotte 
Charlotte and her Hens

Mum2mj

Re: Sudden death
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 15:40 »
Aw I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for you

Prod

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 15:44 »
Hi sorry for your loss..... the exact same thing happened to my Buff Sussex, Bernard, last year when she was about 7/8 mths old.  She was fine, no lice, no problems, laid that morning and then I found her dead in the coop.  Without an autopsy I think it could be very difficult to say what caused it.  Such a shame though :( :(

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 17:17 »
Sorry to hear about your hen dying suddenly. It sounds very sudden and if she appeared OK 30 mins before I would doubt she suffered.

I think the nearest thing that hens come to being happy in the sense that we know happiness is when they are dust bathing and lying in the sun - if she was doing this when she died, well that's probably the best way she could have gone.

Sorry anyway though - it is always hard losing them..
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 17:58 »
Sorry for the sudden loss of Eddie, Charlotte.   :(

As others have said without an autopsy it would be hard to tell what she died of.  It sounds as if it was quick and painless which I hope is of comfort to you.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

CoopersCoop

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42 »
Thanks guys. Like Helens-Hens said, she was in her happiest spot in the garden, so I'd like to think she died a happy hen. All your kind words have been a real comfort to me.

Thanks again.

Charlotte x

Prod

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 13:25 »
Although it is a shock and emotional, as we care for all our animals, I don't know if it is a blessing when they go quickly, especially if they are ill for a while and you cannot find out exactly what it is which seems often to be the case with chickens.  I have an elderly Persian cat, 16 or 17 now, always been a house cat & more ornamental but affectionate, she has been with me for a long time and I love her.  The problem is that she is old now, wont let me groom her anymore so she looks raggaty, and has terrible trouble breathing. On the vet's advice I have to drop water down her nose most days to help her clear the mucus.  I think her time has come  but I just cannot bring myself to take her to the vet's as she is still eating and moving round ok albeit slowly........ hard isn't it???? :wub: :wub: :wub:

xx
Hen's sudden death

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 15:12
by Alby
xx
Sudden death

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 18:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Sudden Death!!!

Started by hannah on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 17:12
by kimT
xx
Sudden Death!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 21:21
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.