Salsify

• 10 Replies

LilacSandy

Salsify
« on: July 30, 2011, 20:18 »
This year I put in some Salsify seeds and they are growing great guns, the leaves are green and straight and are about 12" tall.  The problem is I do not know anything about them, when do I harvest them and how do I cook them?  I know it sounds daft but I like to try something new each year  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Salsify
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 20:34 »
You can start harvesting in mid october.  Cook like any other root veg but once cut,  place in water with some lemon juice as they blacken on contact with air. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 20:37 »
Thanks Ice,
I love all root veg and I am hoping I will get my boys to try them but don't hold out much hope.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 20:04 »
Hope this is not too long since the first post, but I thought you'd like to know our result Lilac.

They went in on May 1st, and because I'd heard of a recipe from a chum, I dug three today.

Unfortunately, they've gone quite squonky, and go off in all directions, almost certainly from having to water in desperation in the dry spring, and also, the ground was in such poor shape, I had to fertilise with liquid manure, and that got caught round the top and didn't go downwards.

But... the roots are big, and after a bit of work, we grated them rather like you would any hard root, and had them with just a bit of mayo, like a coleslaw.

Gorgeous nutty flavour, a cross between chestnuts and coconuts, and well worth the effort!

Definitely on next year's list, although I see that Marshalls don't stock the seeds any more! So it's someone else I'm afraid.

Will you let us know how you cook/prepare yours when they surface please - I'd love to know!

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 20:20 »
I sowed a block of salsify in april and they are now looking pretty good. I took advise and used a large dibber to poke holes 18" down,filled with compost, and sowed a seed on each. All germinated. Never tried salsify before,but will dig my first in a few weeks and if it is ok,will try the recipe for salsify gratin in the River Cottage veg patch book....sounds good and very simple.. :)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 20:35 »
Haven't got that particular book Lilac, but now you mention it, I remember having salsify cooked that way when I first ever tried it.

That should be good!

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45 »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yesterday I tried to dig up some of the plants but I had a heck of a job to get them out of the ground.  As I have two plots and have not cleared them all I have only single dug the bed I planted them in, and these guys have some long roots !!  I did however manage to get most of the roots out and some were about the size of a good carrott.  I treated them like I would a parsnip and peeled and cut them up and put in water with some lemon juice (thanks for the tip Ice).  They were yum just boiled so I will try your suggestions of some of the others, and best of all the boys liked them too.  :)

I will be planting them again this year, firstly for the taste but also for the fact that they germinated so well unlike parsnips.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:54 »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yesterday I tried to dig up some of the plants but I had a heck of a job to get them out of the ground.  As I have two plots and have not cleared them all I have only single dug the bed I planted them in, and these guys have some long roots !!  I did however manage to get most of the roots out and some were about the size of a good carrott.  I treated them like I would a parsnip and peeled and cut them up and put in water with some lemon juice (thanks for the tip Ice).  They were yum just boiled so I will try your suggestions of some of the others, and best of all the boys liked them too.  :)

I will be planting them again this year, firstly for the taste but also for the fact that they germinated so well unlike parsnips.

We found germination was excellent Lilac, almost 100 % as you can sow them singly!

Next year, they'll have a better bed to grow in!

If your plants went down that far, that sounds like a splendid result!

And if the boys like them as well...;0)

savbo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34 »
we've got them self seeding everywhere....

bigben

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 14:06 »
After seeing the river cottage program I decided I was going to grow them next year here is the link for the recipe but it might be on youtube as a vid.
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/salsify-and-scorzonera-gratin/

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 05:17 »
After seeing the river cottage program I decided I was going to grow them next year here is the link for the recipe but it might be on youtube as a vid.
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/salsify-and-scorzonera-gratin/

That's the one Big!

Marvellous, and did you see that someone did it with parsnips (the recipe I mean...)!

xx
Salsify.

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 08:55
by JayG
xx
Salsify

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 10:12
by ytyynycefn
xx
Salsify tip

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 21:33
by SUTTY1
xx
Salsify

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 11:06
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 36 queries.