Help! Help! Advice on lighting for chicks? ASAP

• 9 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Help! Help! Advice on lighting for chicks? ASAP
« on: May 04, 2015, 22:02 »
I have 12 chicks in brooder with an brinsea Eco glow! I'm just wanting to know about lighting situation is it ok to have light on in day and then not at night as this would be in normal situation? Or should there be a constant light on?

Help please
Rich_Chicken :)

Beekissed

Re: Help! Help! Advice on lighting for chicks? ASAP
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 22:09 »
Light out at night is perfect...that's how it is when raised by a broody, everybody is sleeping, no running around or eating at night.  If you can locate your brooder near a window you won't need light at all except the natural light, so they go to bed naturally when it gets dark out. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 22:31 »
As long as they are warm enough RC.  We had 150 and 250Watt infrared lights when ours were tiny, so light was on 24/7 until they got older

But then we did usually have quite a few chicks under them!  :)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:50 »
Keep an eye on how much they huddle. If they can't get close enough together they need it on. I leave mine on all the time for the first 7-10 days then decide if they are at a stage to have it turned off at any point. As there are 12 they should be fine, however I have lost young in the past as they have been smothered  :(

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53 »
There is a school of thought that a red bulb like the sort used to light the fake coals on an electric fire is better. I used this and had no problems  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 15:23 »
Since he is using the Ecoglow brooder, they have all the warmth they need, so just a question of lighting so they will know when to go to bed at night. 

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 15:39 »
Since he is using the Ecoglow brooder, they have all the warmth they need, so just a question of lighting so they will know when to go to bed at night.

good point  :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 17:59 »
I left my light on for heat all the time for the first week or so but was concerned about them not being able to sleep. I made them a little shelter out of cardboard and they used to go in there to sleep. They still had access to heat from the lamp if they got chilly but they were away from the light. Obviously I didn't have the cardboard anywhere near the lamp in case of fire. It worked well.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 21:08 »
As Beekissed writes, there's no need for a light with the ecoglow, natural light should suffice. I have an Ecoglow myself & have had no problems, even when the chicks are two weeks old and I move them outdoors.

Beekissed

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 02:37 »
I've been using a heating pad for brooding the last several times and the chicks love it.  I doubt I'll ever go back to a heat lamp now.  It's a more natural warmth that mimics being under a broody, much like the Ecoglow brooders, but much less expensive.   I just suspend it under a piece of wire fencing to form a tunnel, cover with a flannel pillow case and they are good to go.  I never brood inside, so it's even good for when nights are still in the 30s and 40s here.  The HP is made by Sunbeam and has a feature where one can shut off the automatic shutoff that normally occurs in 2 hrs as a safety feature and can leave it on continually.  I've used the same heating pad to incubate eggs in a natural nest situation and had successful hatches. 

xx
i have a problem with some of my chicks need help asap or she might die

Started by famerboy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 11:53
by rileyfin
xx
Advice needed ASAP

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:55
by Sassy
xx
run lighting advice

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 11:15
by nuzuki
xx
advice on chicks

Started by yacks on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 08:45
by Sassy

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 35 queries.