EWWWW Any idea what on earth this is ?

• 24 Replies

barley

Re: EWWWW Any idea what on earth this is ?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 21:14 »
just a chance somebody may know how to stop this poor little girl keep bursting and bleeding  :(

I found her collapsed today with blood every where again  :(

its burst open twice in the last week or so - I am so worried she will bleed to death

I have  bandaged her again today - I've left it on tonight too as she has been trying to peck at her chest

Do you think it would hurt to keep it bandaged for a few weeks to give it chance to heal - I would change the dressing daily , she doesn't seem to mind it on

she has a really protruding breast bone - I think that's half the problem

its a shame as she's a really happy little thing but it knocks her for 6 if she looses to much blood

here's a pic of her last week when I  actually saw it burst and bandaged her to stop the bleeding - she was fine as she suffered no blood loss then

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58 »
Given that it looks as though she may have got it from perching as she has a prominent breastbone, are you still allowing her to perch? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barley

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 13:22 »
No Sassy

I make a point of putting her in the nest box for that reason

it just needs time to heal but she keeps pecking her self and setting it off again

I was worried the bandage might make her to hot as its getting nicer weather but I think that's the lesser of two evils at the moment

she's had it on for 3 days now , managed to get it off once  ::) so I've made a mark 2 bandage that goes over the wings and under the body

Helenaj

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 16:02 »
Hi Barley

is there any mileage in getting a chicken saddle - the type they use for hens that suffer cock damage and put it on her front instead of on her back? It will look a little odd but make it impossible for her to remove it and it will offer extra padding for her breast bone.

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58 »
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but those lesions look just like melanoma on a human.  Could be she has skin cancer and that's why they won't fully heal and keep bursting and bleeding?  I've never seen it on a chicken myself, but I've seen it a plenty on a human and it looks a lot like that when advanced. 

barley

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18 »
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but those lesions look just like melanoma on a human.  Could be she has skin cancer and that's why they won't fully heal and keep bursting and bleeding?  I've never seen it on a chicken myself, but I've seen it a plenty on a human and it looks a lot like that when advanced.

I did wonder that BK  :( but as long as its not bleeding she is as normal as ever , so if that is the case I will let her live until I think she's suffering and then call it a day

barley

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 07:19 »
Hi Barley

is there any mileage in getting a chicken saddle - the type they use for hens that suffer cock damage and put it on her front instead of on her back? It will look a little odd but make it impossible for her to remove it and it will offer extra padding for her breast bone.

will look at these Helena , thanks

barley

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 18:09 »
Well I managed to make a pad that my poor little girl could wear 24/7 out of an old bandage and pad that I sowed together and could fasten with a safety pin on her back where she could not reach 

she really hasn't minded it being on and she has even dust bathed with it on  :D

I take it off daily to check she has nothing caught under it and I must say after a week or so it is looking an awful lot better

the scab has a nice crust on it and is nice and dry and the swelling seems to have gone down , so fingers crossed it was just a blood blister and not a tumour

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:36 »
That's brilliant well done :D

Helenaj

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 18:32 »
That looks so much better  :) - fingers crossed that it was just an infected wound.

Keep us posted

xx
how on earth

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 13:29
by dawnie77
xx
Do I Need An Earth Box

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 16:45
by Flowerpower136
xx
Earth worms... Yes or No..

Started by hen-night on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 08:34
by hen-night
xx
diatomaceous earth

Started by xxfluffeexx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 16:30
by xxfluffeexx

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.