Dirty chicken.

• 10 Replies

Butterfly

Dirty chicken.
« on: September 27, 2007, 14:38 »
We have a run in the garden that is divided in half with 3 Muscovy ducks on one side and the chickens the other. (they do roam in the garden when we are home aswell).
A couple of weeks ago we bought 3 new chickens (light sussex). We were told they were 16 weeks but I think they are younger.
Now our big girls haven't taken to them yet so they have been living quite happily with the ducks. Now one of the new girls has got through the fence into the big girls run. (Still with me?). Now, they have not been kind to her. Part of the run, (it's on a slight slope) gets rather muddy after the rain. Well, they have clearly had her pinned down in the mud and she looks a very sorry state. I'm sure it looks worse because she is white, but is there anything I should do to clean her up?
I have put her back on her own side of the fence and encouraged her to go inside the shed but am worried about her. Is there anything else I should do for her?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Dirty chicken.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 14:45 »
Check her for any injuries and treat as necessary.  

If she is muddy i.e. caked with it, you can give her a wash in some warm water.  You can add a couple of drops of baby shampoo if you like (this won't remove the feather oil).  Keep her somewhere warm until she is dry.  If she is not too muddy she will be able to sort it out herself  :D

muntjac

Dirty chicken.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 14:48 »
use warm water and in a bowl and just hold her legs between your fingers on one hand and then just cup water in ur hands to pour over the feathers letting it run down , a slow shower head will also werk ... dry of in the house in a box
still alive /............

Butterfly

Dirty chicken.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 15:58 »
Thank you both for you quick replies and advice.
I have checked her over and she doesn't appear to be injured. I have washed her with warm water and am worried that she didn't protest. She stood very still and let me do it. :?
I have now put her in a cardboard box, with some straw, to dry off.
I will let you know how she is doing later.
Thanks again.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Dirty chicken.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 16:01 »
Don't worry it is quite normal for her to be still, probably with her beak open a bit, just the stress of the situation.  She will recover well in the box.  Keep her in till she's dry and maybe offer her a drink and snack before returning her to the others. ( Mine's a G & T  :wink: )

Butterfly

Dirty chicken.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 21:03 »
She still isn't looking good. She is still damp so we have decided to keep her indoors, in a box with lots of straw, tonight.
Just hope she is feeling better tomorrow.
A wet chicken is a very sad site. :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Dirty chicken.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 22:51 »
Make sure the box has good ventillation Butterfly  :D

Butterfly

Dirty chicken.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 13:19 »
She is fine this morning. Back outside with the other little ones.
The box was fine, we left the top open and put the wire top from an old rabbit run over the box. Thanks for caring Aunty :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Dirty chicken.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 13:21 »
So pleased she is completely recovered today.  Put a smile on my face it has  :D

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Dirty chicken.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 18:08 »
Afternoon.

I've gone to check on my girls and my Sussex Light is filthy.  She's got mud all over her head and neck.  It is worth cleaning her up or should I just leave her.  She's not been fighting.  Can't see any injuries - I just think this is the first time they've seen heavy all day rain and they aren't clever enough to stay under the covered area of their run.

muntjac

Dirty chicken.
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 18:54 »
unless its a life threatebning thing id just let them be .its different only when they have blood showing :)

xx
Chicken with a dirty rear

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:20
by smiler43
xx
Dirty Bottom - help (lots iof chicken TMI)

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 18:49
by ceri green
xx
Dirty Bum

Started by Toosje on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 08:41
by Toosje
xx
dirty bum...

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 14:09
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 38 queries.