Bay tree in trouble...

• 13 Replies

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
Bay tree in trouble...
« on: March 05, 2012, 13:03 »
We have a standard bay tree that's been over-wintered in the greenhouse with extra insulation around the pot. We've noticed a lot of the leaves have dried and curled up and are falling off.
I think it's just time to get it back out in the open again, keep an eye out for bad frosts and insulate the pot if we have one. Hubby thinks the frost has got it already when it was in the greenhouse and now it's knackered. I am pretty sure I can see new shoots sprouting up at the bottom and didn't think it would do this if the frost had killed it?
If I get it back outside in its sheltered spot in the corner should it start to look a bit healthier? Or have we killed it?

RichardA

Re: Bay tree in trouble...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 13:07 »
it may well recover so dont dump it yet
R

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 13:11 »
Did you keep it watered?

Our bay tree is planted outside in the soil and is going rampant. I've never considered protecting it against frost.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 14:15 »
It was being watered, yes. Last year when I asked on here it was suggested to move it to a greenhouse to protect it from the frost as it's in a pot. I think it's definitely time to get it out though. I know it looked a little dodgy when we first got it as it was in a windy spot that it didn't much like. Fingers crossed it'll recover again!

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 14:28 »
i have a very smal bay plant carnt realy call it a tree but i live in hope , its in a clay pot and i put it in the shed just put it back outside today its nice and healthy wich is mare than can be said for the rest of my plants that all died .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 14:36 »
 I have two bays about 20 years old planted in the garden. I cut one back very hard but never got round to the other - that was about 2 years ago and then we had a very hard winter, the short tree looked terrible for about a year, brown and no leaves left, I nearly dug it out but gave it time and now is a fine green bush. The tall one never showed any damage at all but is now very leggy so it will get cut back shortly. They are quite tough.
R

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27 »
I have one in a pot... I thought about putting it in the greenhouse over winter but never quite got around to it.  :D It's fine, green and healthy with lots of new shoots - the frost didn't seem to affect it one little bit.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 13:46 »
Mine has been growing in the garden for about 10 years - frosts don't seem to affect it but cold winds sometimes scorch some of the leaves (the house shelters it from northerly winds but not easterly ones in winter.)

Pretty tough plants overall, and also pretty good at producing new leaves to replace damaged ones.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01 »
I'll get it out, remove the dead leaves and see how it goes.

Out of interest, does anyone use the leaves for cooking? And if so, what do you have to do with them before you use them? Just leave them on the side to dry out?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09 »
Like most herbs they are better used fresh and with your own plant you don't need to dry them first unless you want to store them in a jar.

They are usually added to stews and casseroles and fished out before serving as they are tough and inedible, although by then they will have made their contribution to the flavour.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19 »
So you can just pick them off and chuck them in whatever you're doing? I thought they had to be dried out or something first but that's much easier! Now I just have to hope it springs back to life with some new leaves to use!

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28 »
Yep, just pick 'em off and chuck 'em in... can't get much fresher than that!  :D

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 17:49 »
Hi Babystar,  I have three standard bay trees and have never needed to over winter them in the greenhouse.  We had snow this year and they are all fine.

Your bay tree may be suffering from 'bay sucker' (a scale insect) which can be seen on the underside of the leaves.  It causes the leaves to curl up (usually on one side), the leaves yellow and die off. 

I would have a good look at the underside of the leaves. see if you can see any little browny scales.  If so, you should take off the infected leaves and spray with 'Provado' or similar.

Make sure you don't use the leaves in cooking for at least a month after spraying.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:01 »
Hi Babystar,  I have three standard bay trees and have never needed to over winter them in the greenhouse.  We had snow this year and they are all fine.

Your bay tree may be suffering from 'bay sucker' (a scale insect) which can be seen on the underside of the leaves.  It causes the leaves to curl up (usually on one side), the leaves yellow and die off. 

I would have a good look at the underside of the leaves. see if you can see any little browny scales.  If so, you should take off the infected leaves and spray with 'Provado' or similar.

Make sure you don't use the leaves in cooking for at least a month after spraying.

Thank you. I'll give it a good inspection later. I cut off all the new shoots that were starting to appear at the bottom so hopefully that'll help send some energy up top instead!

clip
Bergenia in trouble

Started by AK9 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 17:51
by Springlands
xx
Trouble with a patch of lawn...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 19:28
by fatcat1955
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb
xx
Tree id, anybody?

Started by Annen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 17:51
by Annen

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 37 queries.