Angelica Drinks

• 6 Replies

Silva

Angelica Drinks
« on: February 21, 2020, 17:10 »
Hello all.

I have a lovely big angelica plant on my plot which has lots of luscious looking new stems and leaves already.

I know the roots are used as a botanical in gin, but I was wondering if anybody has used the stems and leaves for alcohol-based infusions? I have a book which suggests steeping alexanders in gin which I believe is a similar plant. I also have another recipe for rhubarb gin which uses sweet cicely to add extra sweetness- do you think that angelica would perform a similar function? I have tried googling but mostly get results relating to use of the root.

If nobody has tried I will probably go ahead anyway and can let you know if I'm successful!  :D

mrs bouquet

Re: Angelica Drinks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:45 »
I had a  big plant in my garden as well,   I did use it for cooking, but never for drinking.    I don't see why the stems and leaves could not be used though.    I wish I had mine now, I would try steeping it, cooking it down, etc to see what happens,    good luck,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Silva

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 19:25 »
Thanks Mrs Bouquet- I would be interested to hear how you used the plant in cooking. I had an experimental nibble of the leaves when on the plot this morning but found them very bitter indeed! I may still experiment with the stems before and after cooking though and then decide if I want to use them in an infusion.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 20:34 »
I've made a cheats version of candied angelica before.  You use a sterilised jar and cut lengths of stem to fit inside.  You pack them upright and then pour in sugar.  As the stems are hollow, the sugar goes down the stems and all around them.  You need the sugar to cover the lot, then you seal the jar.

You change the sugar 2 or 3 times as it draws the water out of the angelica and becomes a bit syrupy, then you split the stalks open and dry them in a dehydrator, or a very low oven.  They do still stay a bit tacky, so store in a tub in single layers between baking parchment.  It was fantastic and we couldn't stop eating it  :lol:  I didn't get to cook with it apart from making a gelato with it in.  That was sublime.

The sugar could be useful for you to make an infused drink.  It does pick up flavour.  Now I miss my angelica plant that used to self seed every year.  The chickens discovered it and started eating it and that was that.  I think I might pick another one up for the plot though  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 20:39 »
That is much the same as I did.  I had a recipe for drying the stems but cannot find it now !.    I am not sure that the leaves are edible, unless you ae a chicken :D  Mrs Bouquet

Silva

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41 »
Brilliant, thanks New shoot! I really like the idea of having both candied stem for eating and infused sugar to add to my rhubarb gin etc. I will avoid leaf-nibbling in the future :lol:

I also found this page which has a lot of information about the history and uses of this interesting plant: https://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/a/anegl037.html

jezza

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 19:45 »
Hello I'm working for a couple tomorrow that have a gin distillery I'll ask them if the leaves of Angelica can be added to gin  jezza

xx
Winterval drinks

Started by New shoot on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 20:57
by Growster...
xx
Sweet cicely drinks

Started by New shoot on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2018, 23:03
by Michelesflowers

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 39 queries.