ex batts roosting bars?

• 7 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
ex batts roosting bars?
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:20 »
Hi! i,m getting my new ex battery girls this morning. I have a forsham ark for them which has those roosting bars that are about an inch off the ground and fixed together so that they can be removed (I suppose that would be if you wanted to keep ducks) but should i remove them for the exbatts or can i leave them in - i would rather leave them in as they will be cleaner that way and more likely to use the nest boxes(maybe?) many thanks! im off shortly to get them from dorchester :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: ex batts roosting bars?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21 »
I'd leave them in Lucy, it never took our ex batts long to get used to perching.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:39 »
How exciting!!! more ladies going to a new life  ;). WE DEMAND PHOTOS YOU KNOW ;)
I have quite a bit of experiance with ex-batts and i agree with Ann, leave them in. They will build up enough strength to use them eventally, some of them may suprise you and start using them as they are not too high. OWWWWW im excited for you :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 19:35 »
thankyou very much for your responses. weve just got back and i put them straight into ther ark (with bars leftt in - thanks) i will definately get photos in the morning but they are not great beauties poor things ::) i cant wait to see if they start scratching in the grass :D lucyloux

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 19:56 »
They wont take long , trust me. Instincts are just that, they will start to be chickens within a few days :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 21:59 »
poor things - they have been lying outstretched in the sun for a lot of the day and a couple of them have been having a bit of a wobbly scratch around. i had 2 softies and 3 hard shelled eggs off them today - but one was broken between the roosting bars. one of the girls spent almost all day inside the house - but she had been eating coz i felt her crop at bedtime and it wasnt empty.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:46 »
to encourage them to lay in the correct place put a golf ball in the nesting box (or you could buy the pot or plastic eggs to use).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 13:39 »
Hi lucylou, glad to hear you got your girls ok - but you say they aren't great beauties? Blimey, you should've seen the state of the ones there last year, mostly oven-readies with just a few feathered ones thrown in for good measure. It broke my heart to see them like that but it was a joy to watch them feathering up over the next few months.

I also picked up my girls from Taylors RSPCA last Saturday - have yours all found their names yet? Mine are Rusty, Goldie, Rosie and Afro (coz she's got a massive comb!) I'd love to post photos, especially of that fantastic comb, but still haven't figured out how... (tried following the link I was sent before but still can't get them on the site, will have to get a tecchie mate to show me how)

Great to hear you're getting eggs, only Goldie has obliged so far. Oh, mine cottoned on to the roosting bar pretty quick and already hate being cooped up!

Anne

xx
Roosting Bars and Red Mite.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 21:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Roosting bars - Ideas & Designs

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 00:58
by kopperdrake
xx
Plastic roosting bars for Eglus

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 17:13
by poultrygeist
xx
Moulting and found blood in the tray under the roosting bars, help please.

Started by crem on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 07:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 39 queries.