What breed should I get?

• 14 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
What breed should I get?
« on: February 10, 2013, 14:37 »
Hi.  I've only ever kept ex batts...but now only have 1 left and want her to have some company but would like a hen that lives a little longer (can't bear the heartbreak of an ex batt death every 18 mths), is a good egg layer and is docile enough to be a family pet. 
I'd like to get 3 new hens in total - so they'd all have to get along.  As I work during the day, they can't be completely free range but have a nice sized pen, and an egloo cube.
If you were putting 2/3 different breeds together - what would you choose to fit the bill?
Cat

grinling

Re: What breed should I get?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 14:49 »
get 3 the same size.
I have a bluebell, sussex, another different one as well as a bantam and a scots dumpy hen.
The bluebell and sussex arrived last year and picked on my bantam, whereas the other large one doesn't but they have grown up together.
Big size useful for cake making, bantam eggs for fried.
But if not from same breeder, you will need to quarantine them seperately.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 16:18 »
For health, egg laying and friendliness I would choose a Rhode Island Red.  An egg nearly every day and I mean 9 out of 10 days.  She hasn't stopped laying through the winter.  She is only 10 months old and yet to go through a moult, but I am really impressed with this breed. My sussex was a bully and my welsummer is pretty flighty, but she does lay beautiful deep brown eggs, just not as many as my RIR. 

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 16:38 »
For egg laying purposes you cant beat any breed/Hybrid derived from the leghorn IMHO. My very first chickens were white stars and they laid the biggest whitest eggs day in day out all through the year. Some were over 100g's which matched my duck egg eggs or a small goose egg. The only down side unless you get them from quite young and handle them regular they can be flighty/nervous.

Another breed I had was orpingtons which are super friendly and lay a decent size egg - 65-70g, but have a tendency to go broody in the summer but they look beautiful and look very fluffy.

You can also get your average ginger/hybrid hen which will lay you a nice big egg.

If you like ducks, I can really recommend duck eggs for baking. They are excellent! Far better than a chicken egg. Although 2 ducks can be a bit messy unless you keep on top of them. Good luck.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 17:52 »
I am a bit biased, they are no good for eggs, they are not much good at keeping the grass down, BUT they are very friendly
I'm talking about bantams, I had a pair of them, they used to look like 2 old dears walking down the road, my grand daughter loved em,

They can be a bit lazy as well

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 18:48 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

wildwitchy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 19:01 »
Oh that picture has made me really laugh!! What a lovely picture!  :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet she loves them. How innocent. Reminds me of my own son running around my garden & coming in as black as coal!

Yes pekins are lovely little chickens, mine look very funny when they run down the path for treats, like little fluffy footballs. I've only got 2 out of 6 laying atm. Polands are lovely too, very friendly.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 19:17 by wildwitchy »

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 19:08 »
Yes the picture does show the innocence of kids, she saw others hatch, but I dont think she understood it would be like that

Its quite a jump from a fluufy chick to a full grown hen (well as full grown as a pekin bantam can get)

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 20:29 »
Thanks all so much..and LOVE the pictures...too cute!!!
Keep your suggestions coming - I'm going to buy 3 on Saturday so will read all posts and weigh up the pros and cons....
Bantams would be fab but think my 1 remaining ex batt might bully them too much.  She can be quite feisty.

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 20:37 »
Just because bantam's are small dont write them off, they can be fiesty when they need to be, they cant be beat if you want a pet, but if you want bigger and more eggs bantams would have to go on the back shelf

I'll be getting a couple just for pets later in the year, something for the grand kids to pet

Glad you liked the photos, it does show how docile they can be though with kids (big and small)

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:56 »
Black Rocks are a safe bet. They're calm, tough as old boots, give good eggs and are friendly. Bantams are lovely, but have a bad habit of going broody.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 13:29 »
Bl but have a bad habit of going broody.

Thats not a problem for me  :)

I can shocve a couple of eggs under them, can never have enough hens, cockerels are a different thing though

helens-hens

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 13:41 »
I agree with what Snow White says about her Welsummer, I have 1 and she is the same and can be a bit aggressive with my other 2 which are a brown ranger type (great layer, fairly calm & friendly) and a barred Plymouth Rock (friendly, inquisitive bird, bit of a sweetie  ::)).
Helen

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 14:00 »
I recommend Light Sussex hens, good layers , long lived, hardy and very little trouble. Tame enough to hand feed but probably not toddler pushchair material!

Cracking photo`s Pepsi 100 :D

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:33 »
Just a quick update...
I ended up with 2 Buff Orpingtons and a Barn Velder...got them home and they are all HUGE compared to my little ex bat who has gone straight to the bottom of the pecking order :(
The Orps are definitely tamer than the Barn Velder who's very skittish still but lays the most fabulous dark brown eggs (double yokers some of them).
Will update with pictures soon.
xx

wildwitchy

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 16:29 »
Orpingtons are lovely birds. Mine wer buffs called margo and barbara. They make very good mums and have lovely personalities. Good  choice. I cant comment on the other breed as not kept that one. Good luck.

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
clip
what breed is this?

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 08:42
by Kym503
xx
To breed or not to breed?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:56
by joyfull
xx
What breed

Started by Janschooks on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 15:07
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 34 queries.