Flubenvet...

• 45 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Flubenvet...
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 21:05 »

when you've finished doing yours, would you please come and do mine the same way? i have 104,
 bring your own grapes :D

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head TMG.  Individually worming chx by putting an indeterminant amount of Flubenvet in a grape just doesn't scale beyond a small number of chx.  Certainly this isn't a viable method for me even if I could work out how much to give and measure it out individually.

Re Ducks - I can't see that it's mentioned on the leaflets and package though geese are.  Try asking Madeleine McVey on mmcvey@its.JNJ.com who is Janssen Animal Health's technical advisor.

Regards

Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 21:07 »
It is not licensed for ducks i.e. they have not done the tests, so Ms McVey will not be able to give you an answer.  A number of duck keepers on other forums/web sites use it with no problems.

This is just one of them : http://www.callducks.net/worms.htm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 21:15 by Aunt Sally »

Foxy

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 21:56 »
Interesting, I dont there there is much research if any on small scale backyard flocks, well in the numbers we consider small scale!
However, due the digestive process I can't imagine it makes much difference on a grape or in the feed, my only concern would be any adverse effects due to overdosing.
Chooks digestion is in a state of permanent activity due to their high metabolism, the rate food is released from the crop(storage) into the main digestive engine of the chicken also varies from bird to bird. :D
If I was at all concerned or suspected health issues due to high worm load, I would send off for a worm count or check at PM. So far, despite free-ranging my birds the count has been insignificant, so maybe the health risk of worms and prevalence has been blown up somewhay (or Janssen-Cilag have!)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 22:07 by Foxy »

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Flubenvet Act II...
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 21:58 »
QUOTE: 'It follows therefore that the dose rate for the 1% formulation would be 0.12 x 2.5 = 0.3g per day = 2.1g total for the 7 day treatment. The scoop enclosed in the pack measures out approx. 6 grams and would therefore be enough to treat 3 hens for 7 days.' END OF QUOTE:

PLEASE help my addled brain!  :( We have four nice sized Warrens... Our Flubenvet 1% arrived today.. Can someone please work out VERY simple quantities to give them? Is it 6 grams per hen, per four, per day, per week?  :wacko: I promise I'm not normally gaga but I've had a day of information overload :blink: :(

Jan.x 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Flubenvet Act II...
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 22:02 »
Can't help you pink-chicken as a non chicken person.

What I do know is that this ought to follow on from your other thread, so I'll merge the two togther.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 22:02 »
I agree with all your post Foxy.  All animals carry a few worms they only become a problem when the worm burden gets large.

Quote from:  our sticky
The risk to chickens of contracting worms is very variable.  A small worm burden is natural for all birds and will usually not cause a problem.  If you just have a few hens in a run or in your garden the risk is quite small and wild birds is normally the only way they will get them, you may choose to worm these hens less frequently.  If the land you have your birds on has been used for hens for a long time the risks are higher.  The greatest risk is to large flocks of free range birds, you may choose to worm these more frequently.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 22:03 »
Sorry for the intrusion.

I'll wipe my feet & leave now.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 22:09 »
Thank you DD sorry about that. I just thought maybe someone would see my plea a little easier if I started a new thread  :unsure:

Jan.x

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 22:40 »
No problems pink-chicken!

A little patience is all that's required and if you look at the thread you'll see that someone, (Foxy), posted 2 minutes before your new thread hit the forum!

I lurk in the GYO bit, but one thing I do know is that there are a lot of hands on, helpful people in here.

OK - back to my peas now.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 22:56 »
LOL enjoy your peas DD, just off to peak at Foxys post now  :) I panicked worrying about the girlies all carrying around massive amounts of worms. Me and my over active imagination  :)

Jan.x

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 22:58 »
I can empathise.

I worry about my peas as well - they have feelings you know!

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 23:30 »
LOL I'll never eat another pea again without worrying about its feelings now  :wacko: Ripped out of its jacket and boiled alive, I don't want to come back as a pea  :)

Jan.x

hillfooter

Re: Flubenvet Act II...
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 01:58 »
QUOTE: 'It follows therefore that the dose rate for the 1% formulation would be 0.12 x 2.5 = 0.3g per day = 2.1g total for the 7 day treatment. The scoop enclosed in the pack measures out approx. 6 grams and would therefore be enough to treat 3 hens for 7 days.' END OF QUOTE:

PLEASE help my addled brain!  :( We have four nice sized Warrens... Our Flubenvet 1% arrived today.. Can someone please work out VERY simple quantities to give them? Is it 6 grams per hen, per four, per day, per week?  :wacko: I promise I'm not normally gaga but I've had a day of information overload :blink: :(

Jan.x  

Hi Jan,
I've lost this thread a bit so if someone's already answered your question my apologies however here's a simple answer to your question for 4 L/F birds using 1% Premix.

WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS
(You'll probably have about 400grams left over which you can continue to feed for a further two days if you like or throw away.  Don't add further unmedicated feed on top as you don't want to let them have a weak dilution which might breed resistance in the worms)

HOW THIS IS CALCULATED FYI
Remember 2 facts - they must be medicated for 7 days continuously, and using the 1% Premix the feed medication rate is 3grams per kg of FEED.

So first you need to calculate how much feed you will need for all the birds for 7 days. If you know your birds consumption use that, but if not work on 900grams per week, per L/F bird. So in your case that's actually 4 birds X 0.9kg = 3.6Kg (make up 4kg for ease of using scoop measure).

HOW TO MIX
Using a large container (a trug is ideal) and rubber gloves sprinkle some corn oil onto the pellets and mix well so that the pellets are just slightly darkened but not softened so they disintegrate.  The oil prevents the powder settling. Sprinkle the two scoops of Flubenvet powder over the surface in several batches, as evenly as you can, and mix really well as you sprinkle each batch.  

If you feed mash don't use the oil but use the mixture in 4 batches topping up the feeder every two days which you should remix each time you top up so the powder doesn't settle out.

You now have 4kg of medicated feed you can fill their feeder from and feed for the week.

HOW TO AVOID BEING CONFUSED
Don't try to follow the rather convoluted instructions provided by Janssen and stop thinking about how much medication each bird needs per day.  They will eat the requisit amount of wormer for their weight provided you don't feed them anything other than the medicated feed.  So NO treats or unmedicated feed.  If they free range it's best to confine them so they don't eat too much unmedicated food.  Don't worry about overdosing, Flubenvet has been tested at upto 2.5 times the recommended dosage with no ill effects. I prefer to slightly (<20%) overdose than under.

Hope this helps.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 09:13 »
OH is a parasitologist

Euw.  Does this mean he keeps nasty looking things in the fridge?  I have visions of there being all sorts of little plastic boxes with his little parasitic friends in...

*Shudder*

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 09:37 »
Hi hillfooter, that's brilliant and certainly does help thank you, you've made it sound much simpler I can understand exactly what to do now.  :D I had been thinking about amount per bird etc. and Janssens instructions are really confusing. The girls are used to layers mash so I will carry on with that. If it's OK I will copy and keep your instuctions and will then have them handy for future reference.  :)

Jan.x 

xx
Flubenvet

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 11:39
by ordinarygull
xx
Sorry - Flubenvet Again

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 12:53
by New shoot
xx
Flubenvet

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 08:51
by pepsi100
xx
flubenvet?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 08:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 40 queries.