Watery egg whites

• 7 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Watery egg whites
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:56 »
We have 4 young brown hybrid hens (I think they are ISA's?) who lay well.  They are totally free range.  A while ago all the eggs seemed to have very watery whites and someone told me it was because of heat (they have no symptoms of viral disease and were vaccinated before we bought them).  Of course we now have no heat at all now and we are getting watery whites again.  We do get alot of demand for our eggs from neighbours so this means that when we get to have any they are extremely fresh - our boiled eggs this morning were laid this morning - could this be something to do with it (although I thought watery whites were a sign of stale eggs).

They get layers mash in the morning which they seem to love (mixed in water) and corn in the afternoon.  The hen house is cleaned twice a week at least and they always have fresh water.  I just don't know what is causing this problem or what I can do about it.  The yolks are lovely but the whites in boiled eggs are just horrible.  I did wonder about stress, can't see that the hens are stressed they seem very happy but the hen house has a tin roof and we have been having some very heavy rain which would frighten me and I guess might make the hens anxious?

Thanks for your advice.

compostqueen

Watery egg whites
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09 »
I don't know the answer but Aunt Sal, GA or Foxy will know the answer I'm sure and one of them will be around shortly to help

Interesting question and I'll look forward to the answer. Nothing obvious to me from your description.  Hmmm curious and curiouser  :D

flocko

Watery egg whites
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19 »
Watery egg whites are due to the eggs being too fresh. If I'm having boiled eggs I choose eggs that are a couple of days old. Likewise you cant peel a newly laid egg if you hard boil it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Watery egg whites
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 13:05 »
Actually watery whites have always puzzled me!  Yes they say waery whites are a sign of an old egg, they are also a sign of an old bird laying.  But we had fried egg yesterday (yes, naughty I know!!)  and one of those was watry, but was 1 day old and came from a hen that isn't 2 yet.

But it doesn't detract from the quality of the egg, just doesn't look as nice as a nice thick white!   :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Watery egg whites
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 14:02 »
Some hens will just lay eggs with watery whites.  They are fine to eat and it makes them fit in the sandwich better  :lol:

I'll see if I can find more information.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Watery egg whites
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 14:07 »
This article says that some birds constantly produce eggs with watery whites later in their laying life:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/30/watery-whites

Foxy

Watery egg whites
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 16:41 »
Found this information from the University of Florida (edis publication)

Inherited -could be just this if more than one is laying them and are from the same breeder.?

Diseases: Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, laryngotracheitis or Egg Drop Syndrome 76 - as a result of illness eggs quality can be poor in both content and egg shell formation

High egg storage temperature (and age of stored eggs)

Age of hens: incidence higher with older hens (this is most likely)

High level of ammonia from droppings

Loss of CO2 from egg

High vanadium levels in the feed (dont think applicable in the UK)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Watery egg whites
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 18:22 »
Disease causes are interesting Foxy :D

xx
Watery egg whites

Started by linzechris on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 19:59
by Spadefighter
xx
Watery whites?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 10:50
by Lost in France
xx
One of the girls is laying eggs with watery whites any ideas?

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 17:17
by treacleminer
xx
Watery poo

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 12:05
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.