• Experienced Member
Re: The Daily Funny - Give us a Laugh!
« Reply #3975 on: November 15, 2020, 20:21 »
Groan...  :) :D :nowink:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3976 on: November 15, 2020, 23:16 »
What is this strange new measurement 'feef'? By God that makes me itchy and I don't like maths!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3977 on: November 16, 2020, 10:31 »
Mycota Powder will deal with itchy feet but maybe a trip to the dentist might be needed to help with the "feef"?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3978 on: November 16, 2020, 12:07 »
What is this strange new measurement 'feef'? By God that makes me itchy and I don't like maths!
Damn this metric system!  :mad:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

al78

« Reply #3979 on: November 20, 2020, 11:49 »
Damn this metric system!  :mad:

You use a metric system for counting don't you, or do you count in binary or hexadecimal?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3980 on: November 20, 2020, 12:25 »
Yes, we've but we've always counted that way, haven't we.
Although  we supposedly changed to metric years ago, many of us 'oldies' have trouble with metric when measuring things.
I always have to convert to feet and inches because the metric measurement system, somehow, just doesn't mean anything much to my old brain. After all, it was programmed in the 50s & early 60s and some system updates just don't seem to work very well, if at all  :wacko:  :lol: :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3981 on: November 20, 2020, 13:57 »
I've said before, embrace both if you can, there are merits to both systems. It's handy when watching American woodworkers/ craftsmen. I know what dimensions they're working with just as easily as if it was someone from the UK.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3982 on: November 20, 2020, 14:06 »
Although  we supposedly changed to metric years ago, many of us 'oldies' have trouble with metric when measuring things.
I always have to convert to feet and inches because the metric measurement system, somehow, just doesn't mean anything much to my old brain. After all, it was programmed in the 50s & early 60s and some system updates just don't seem to work very well, if at all  :wacko:  :lol: :lol:

I don’t think updates are available for our vintage, Mum  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3983 on: November 20, 2020, 15:32 »
I use the Baldrick system of counting  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4IQjUpTNVU

It’s also a great excuse to dig out an old clip just for a bit of a morale boost  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3984 on: November 20, 2020, 15:48 »
 :lol: :lol:
Luckily I am a bit better than that  ::)

al78

« Reply #3985 on: November 20, 2020, 19:19 »

So it is not the system, it is change involving learning something new or doing something differently. Logically to me the metric system makes more sense because it is consistent with our base 10 counting system, and it is trivial to do mental arithmetic with multiples of 10, Metric is also used as standard units in science.

I can understand annoyance at the inconvenience of changing the way you done things for decades, but usually, change is good, if we never changed anything we would never progress as a civilisation.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3986 on: November 20, 2020, 20:51 »
:lol: :lol:
Luckily I am a bit better than that  ::)

I was taught metric at school but my parents were strictly imperial, so I am of the age group that does have a grasp of both ... except old money ... I don’t get that at all  :wacko:

That’s where the Baldrick system kicks in  :lol:

Anyway, as I always say, before you judge anyone who doesn’t use the metric system, you should try walking 1.609344 kilometres in their shoes  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #3987 on: November 21, 2020, 06:22 »
When I was training for surveying exams, the new metric system was introduced to replace the imperial system, in the late sixties.

We all had to ditch the old Standard Method of Measurement, and use millimeters etc. It was chaotic, and the tutors were none the wiser as well, especially in the earlier months. There was continued debate as to whether one measured in millimeters or centimeters, and how many noughts one wrote after the decimal point. Up to then, measurements were quantified by multiplying feet and inches using duodecimals, and this was all before calculators came on the scene as well! Many's the time I would arrive at the office, (very junior back then), and have to calculate squares and cubes all day, on scrap paper...

When I moved to London to work, the firm had just bought two desktop calculators, which were the size of a typewriter, and cost the same as a Mini Minor!

The calculator I have in front of me cost three quid on Ebay, and is the size of an old Gold Leaf fag packet...

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3988 on: November 21, 2020, 10:27 »
It ain't all progress though...

My neighbour had one of the early desktop calculators with full keyboard style keys and those wonderful nixie tubes for the numbers. My first school calculator had the glowing red numbers behind some really dark plastic that ate the batteries but was easy to see (8008135 and 80087335 bring back any memories?). Now, with the cheapo LCD ones, if you aren't right in front of them you can't see diddly on the display!

Growster...

« Reply #3989 on: November 21, 2020, 11:39 »
It ain't all progress though...

My neighbour had one of the early desktop calculators with full keyboard style keys and those wonderful nixie tubes for the numbers. My first school calculator had the glowing red numbers behind some really dark plastic that ate the batteries but was easy to see (8008135 and 80087335 bring back any memories?). Now, with the cheapo LCD ones, if you aren't right in front of them you can't see diddly on the display!

One thing some of the chaps found on these big calculators, was that if you hit about eight keys simultaneously, and pressed return, the machine used to start counting from 1,2,3 etc.!

They all used to take bets on what the number would be when they got back from lunch!

xx
give us our daily bread

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post March 13, 2022, 09:54
by lettice
xx
laugh or cry .... you decide.

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

45 Replies
Last post January 16, 2019, 13:26
by Goosegirl
xx
Deliveries? You're having a laugh!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 19:23
by Christine
xx
A funny mis-read.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2023, 17:44
by wighty

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 52 queries.