heating greenhouse

• 6 Replies

davidmw

heating greenhouse
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:27 »
What is the best way to heat a greenhouse.  I am thinking of an electric heater but unsure what would be best.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:35 by DD. »

Paul Plots

Re: heating greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 00:27 »
I think it's best not to heat all as it can be very expensive over a long winter.  :(

I gave up trying to keep tender plants in mine a few years back when fuel prices rocketted. Instead I grow from seed each year where I can or bring a few special plants into the conservatory that benefits from heat from the house.  ;)

Even buying replacement plants from a nursery can be cheaper... I think.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kiltferret

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 21:57 »
I'm in the highlands of Scotland so condition's are a bit different to yours but my new greenhouse ( just about complete) is made with old double glazing units from patio doors. I have incorporated a fairly massive concrete block with pipes running through it connected to it to a solar panel outside facing south. Hoping this acts as giant storage heater. Don't see why this shouldn't work any where.......... just takes a scrap radiator some glass and an insulated box.I'm going to find out this winter.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 22:59 »
You could always double or even treble glaze with bubble wrap.  You don't even need to remove it in the summer. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

bobabout

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 20:42 »
On my allotment we have no power and do not allow any flamable liquids so myself and a few others have been collecting the thermal blocks from night storage heaters these are used to make the floor of the greenhouse they heat up during the day and release the heat at night, seems to work

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 23:02 »
On my allotment we have no power and do not allow any flamable liquids so myself and a few others have been collecting the thermal blocks from night storage heaters these are used to make the floor of the greenhouse they heat up during the day and release the heat at night, seems to work

Sounds a great idea!

I want a 2nd lean to greenhouse rather than a cheaper stand-alone type. My garage is always much warmer than outside so I thought a greenhouse on it's sunny side would be idea for raising seedlings in the spring.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 15:04 »
I use soil warming cables running through a sand bench, they use little more than a light bulb in the way of power.. Wont heat whole greenhouse so cover over seeds with hoops and fleece. Need extra fleece if very cold.

xx
heating a greenhouse

Started by hanssg on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 15:22
by grendel
xx
Heating a Greenhouse

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 23:18
by mumofstig
xx
Heating a greenhouse

Started by ghost61 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

29 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 08:27
by andysmum
xx
I'm really confused about heating my greenhouse.....

Started by kippers garden on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 17:32
by veggies

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.