Hawthorn Chips from Chicken Run, usable?

• 1 Replies

dmhain

Hawthorn Chips from Chicken Run, usable?
« on: September 21, 2011, 16:41 »
Hi

In Spring our local tree surgeon supplied me with a load of chipped hawthorn bush for the chicken run.  Its been sifted through and poo'd on all summer, I now intend to clear it out and use it up the allotment.

I was intending to simply use it for my allotment paths but as Ive scooped it into the wheel barrow Ive noticed it actually rotted away quite nicely.  Below the forst layer of chips it looks a bit like finely rotted complost or manure!

My question is do you think I should put this on the soil for next year or will it still be too woody and do more damage to the soil than good?  I have a fair bit of it!!

Cheers

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Hawthorn Chips from Chicken Run, usable?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 17:11 »
Don't see why not; if it looks like compost it probably is, but even if it's not fully decomposed it won't rob the soil of nitrogen if it is spread on top of it rather than dug in (it can't "suck" nitrogen out of the soil and probably has plenty in the mix anyway!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Gypsum for soil conditioning - is finishing plaster usable?

Started by calypsored on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2020, 22:44
by Deborah1
xx
hawthorn

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 10, 2006, 15:58
by muntjac
xx
hawthorn berries ripe?

Started by nemie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 19:16
by sunshineband
xx
Wood Chips

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2014, 23:05
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 29 queries.