Gypsum for soil conditioning - is finishing plaster usable?

• 10 Replies

calypsored

Hi

This is my first season on my allotment in East London - covered the area in October 09 with agricultural fabric to supress the weeds after turning over. Just added 6" mushroom compost/horse manure mix with each trench while double digging and removing the couchgrass and nettle roots.

The soil is still very clumpy (moderate clay). The ph tester I have is showing the soil as neutral to slightly alkaline in different places. I have read that gypsum in its agricultural form can improve soil texture without altering pH values but I cant find no reasonable value supplies for the amount I'm after.

Would builders finishing plaster be an acceptable substitute. I would be using the Thistle brand and on page 3 of the manufactuers pdf for the product for the ingredients (http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/DS-110-01%20Thistle%20MultiFinish.pdf) it lists calcium sulphate hemihydrate as the primary ingredient without showing any additives that I can see I should avoid. 

There is mixed info not so much on the use of gypsum but on the acceptability of using buiders based gypsum products (finishing plaster, plaster board in compost etc) on the allotment. Just wondering if anyone can shed any further light.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Gypsum for soil conditioning - is finishing plaster usable?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 21:42 »
hemihydrate version is better known as plaster of paris. As your soil is neutral to slightly alkaline, adding calcium sulphate would increase the alkilinity of the soil. You would probably be better off adding lots of organic matter to the soil to improve the soil texture and maintain its neutrality. I would be very wary of adding building waste - the drawbacks may outweigh the benefits.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07 »
I have heard of people going to the plot and having a drink with lunch but never getting plastered :blush: at the plot.
Thanks
Kris

Pompey Spud

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:02 »
I think you maybe getting too technical and worried about the soil.

Just keep adding the organic stuff and nature will take its course.

Rotation plans will help as well to know what parts to add manure or, to lime.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

calypsored

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38 »
Do I add lime if the soil is already neutral to slightly alkaline? I thought as this was already the pH value of the soil I should add gypsum as it does the job of lime without altering pH values.

I really was just looking to help nature along the way but as I cant find a definitive answer I think I shall just leave it or pay the additional money for the agricultural stuff if I can find a supply.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00 »
mushroom compost is quite limey, so I wouldn't have thought you needed more.

The soil will get less lumpy as you work it, anyway.

It may have been better (for the soil structure, not the weeds :ohmy:) to have left your soil uncovered for the winter, so that the weather would have broken it down.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28 »
Do I add lime if the soil is already neutral to slightly alkaline? I thought as this was already the pH value of the soil I should add gypsum as it does the job of lime without altering pH values.

I really was just looking to help nature along the way but as I cant find a definitive answer I think I shall just leave it or pay the additional money for the agricultural stuff if I can find a supply.

I would say you do not need to add any lime or gypsum as your soil is already alkaline. Many plants prefer the soil to be neutral or even slightly acidic. As said before, you would be better adding humic material to the soil to help break it down.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38 »
I was refering to crop rotation plans. ie Brassicas like alkaline ie lime!!!!!!!!   ::)

Depends whats going where.

Don't add anything else chemical! For other stuff apart from humous etc.

See...too technical and sweating about nothing.    8)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58 »
It's the presence of calcium ions which cause flocculation of clay particles and hence an improvement in the structure of such soils.

Gypsum does it without changing the soil pH.
Lime (hydrated or slaked lime) also does it but increases the soil pH quite quickly.
Ground limestone also does it but much more slowly, and will also slowly increase the pH.

Horses for courses, and don't expect it to work miracles on its own (humus is needed as well!) 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 20:01 »
JayG, you are 100% correct. Plaster (Plaster of Paris) will not change the pH but will add calcium ions.

The stickyness of clay is made worse by sodium, but decreased by adding available calcium and magnesium. Gypsum (plaster) is perfect for this, and moderately soluble. Another sulfate that will also help is magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts, highly soluble).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 22:44 »
To add my two pennorth... I think your Gypsum will do no harm, especially if your soil tends to acidic, or if you have a specific crop in mind that prefers a more alkaline soil.

Here I have a soil which loves Camellias, Rhodos, Blueberries. I grab everything limey that I can. Not for them!
Crushed oyster shells, household plaster etc. all goes on the garden for those that will need it next year. Hope this is useful.

xx
New allotment, clay soil conditioning and taties

Started by Rich on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 19:48
by Christine
xx
Lime Plaster

Started by Hobnails on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 23:39
by Hobnails
xx
Hawthorn Chips from Chicken Run, usable?

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 17:11
by JayG
xx
Gypsum

Started by redwine@roses on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 20:37
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 51 queries.