lots of blood!

• 23 Replies

animartco

lots of blood!
« on: August 27, 2010, 20:29 »
hi All
I have just got three lovely little baby polish, very small but fully fledged. They are lively and eat well, but this morning I found a huge gout of blood. I examined them all. No clue. Since then there is more blood a bit more watery and accompanying the stool. I don't know if it is just one or all. They are all equally lively. Anyone any ideas? Could it be a prolapse?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: lots of blood!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 20:43 »
Cocci????

If it is this then they wont be lively for long :(  does the chick crumb contain anti coccidiosis meds.... if not you need to get some quick :(

Would think it unlikely that there is a prolaps if they are very young.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 21:59 »
I agree, it sounds like coccidiosis  :(

Do you have some coxiod to treat them with ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 22:25 »
when you treat with coxoid remember that the feed must not have ACS in it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

animartco

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 23:12 »
when you treat with coxoid remember that the feed must not have ACS in it  :)
What's ACS?

animartco

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 23:21 »
I agree, it sounds like coccidiosis  :(

Do you have some coxiod to treat them with ?
No I don't have anything. Is there some household product that could help? Paracetamol? How quickly does it develope? They must have had it when I got them and it started to show after 24 hours on unmedicated feed. Strange thing is it was a massive bleed this morning but this afternoon is more watery stained with blood rather than a solid gout of blood. They have been eating well all day.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 23:26 »
It can come on very quickly!  When Joy came to see my last hatch of chicks, they were still in the brooder shed, so I must have carried something in on my boots.  Usually I wear overshoes whilst the chicks are tiny.

the chicks were going mad for something on the floor.  Joy said it looks like blood, so I wet in and sure enough there were several blobs around, i picked them all up and looked at their bottoms.  Couldn't see anything, gave them coxoid, but next day one had died and another didn't look too good.  I separated it but it also died the next day.  However, all the others have been fine!

Paracetomol won't help.  they need Coxoid.  I haven't got any or I'd send it to you.  Try to get some tomorrow, its a 5 day course.

Oh and ACS is Anti Coccidiostat which is in some feed.  It's in mine, which is why I don't understand where they got the cocci from!

Junie

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 23:56 »
Hi - I had Cocci last year, The chicks were not under the weather at all, but had blood in their droppings.  A quick trip to the Vet and I came away with the same stuff that we now have for worming, they were right as rain in a couple of days. 

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:34 »
The majority of feeds in the UK have anti cocci in however there are several strains of cocci and it won't prevent them all. If your feed says on the bag medicated or ACS then do not use this with coxoid. If you get some feed from an organic range or from the small holders range then these are mediction free.   

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27 »
If you can't get to a vets you can get coxoid from most pet stores.

animartco

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 13:12 »
The majority of feeds in the UK have anti cocci in however there are several strains of cocci and it won't prevent them all. If your feed says on the bag medicated or ACS then do not use this with coxoid. If you get some feed from an organic range or from the small holders range then these are mediction free.   
Yes my feed is medication free. It says so. I have been ringing round vets all morning with no luck. Would have to happen on a bank holiday! There are no shops around here that stock it. I also keep meaning to go into Canterbury and set up an account to enable me to shop online. I never have. Too worried about security, so can't order there. Even if I did it wouldn't come before wednesday. So I'm stumped. I gave them some plant food iron sulphate earlier and they gulped it down, and it didn't kill em but don't know if it's helped. They are still acting normally but there isn't the amount of faeces that there should be and most of it is blooming.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 14:03 »
you really do need to get some coxoid or baycox urgently. Ring around somebody close by should stock it - try the places that sell stuff for aviary birds.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 14:05 »
That's what I keep in hand Joy.

It has pictures of budgies on the bottle.

Treat all birds, then clean the house out with an anti-coccidiosis disinfectant like Stalosan F and clean their drinkers and feeders with Virkon S to prevent reinfection.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 14:07 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 14:07 »
I keep coxoid and have to keep checking the use by date on it as my last lot had gone out of date so had to be disposed of unopened, can't be too careful.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 21:02 »
i have a really good poultry vet down here and he gave me intradine 30.89% meant for pigs and sheep ,, goes into the water works brilliant. your local vets might have some .

clip
Lots of blood in the egg white?

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 07:02
by New shoot
xx
Small * lump from the vent lots of blood

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 15:25
by Alby
xx
Lots of Questions!!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 04:19
by mother hen
xx
Im new and have lots of questions!!!

Started by Saffichook on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 12:06
by Saffichook

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 40 queries.