Nothing Changes

• 59 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Nothing Changes
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46 »
Ok, but just to play devil's advocate...  ;)

But isn’t it up to the individual what they do? Isn’t part of the fun of gardening/growing experimenting and finding out what works for you?

What I thought was good about this site was that people shared ideas for what works, or doesn’t work for them, and then people can either try it or indeed ignore the advice they’ve been given? There are people on the site who may have been there and done it all and found what works for them, but some of us haven’t (this is only my 3rd year growing and I’m now adjusting from being in the midlands to further north with a totally different soil type so what may have worked before won't here!). For some people it may be pure ignorance that they are sowing now – for others, like myself, its called experimenting! :D

For example, I read on another site that its good to start off Aubergines early, as from this chaps opinion they need as longer growing period as possible. I knew some people on this site would disagree, but I tried anyway. For me, it hasn’t worked, only a few seeds have germinated and those that have look, erm, ill (but again I have plenty more seeds, so for me its not a bother I’ll just sow some more later) but I wanted to give it a go. Why? Because its fun! It was his opinion, for him it works, for me it didn’t – now I know for myself!

If I have ‘tales of woe’, then they will me my tales of woe, my experiences that I have learnt from, not just someone else telling me what I’m doing is wrong.

There is no denying that planting out things now as the thread at the top seems to be suggesting, is ridiculous, even I can see that – there is no way I would consider planting my spuds yet, we had frost everywhere this morning and the ground is rock hard! ::) But I may have missed those current threads where people are saying they are off to plant out their cabbages, potatoes etc. And I'm also not going to suggest that when it has warmed up a bit I'm not going to experiment there either - as I have tubs to grow my potatoes in, I'm going to start some of my earlies off earlier than others and bring the tub in at night. As an experiment! ;)

What as far as I can tell people have been talking about is Chillis, aubergines, tomatoes etc indoors. And in this case, if you have the seed, the space and the time what is the harm in having a go and finding things out for yourself? I’m enjoying both the successes and the losses because I’m learning new things through experiencing them.

But that’s just my opinion – I fully expect and accept other people will disagree! :wub: And I fully acknowledge that part of growing stuff for me is the process, I am doing it because I enjoy it, not as a way to be self sufficient as I know others are.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51 »
well said.

At the end of the day, nothing is going to be fool-proof and experimentation is great to do. It is all part of the process. And yes there is the option to take the wealth of conflicting advice around (some has proved most beneficial in my experience - other advice has been pretty useless - but hey, you take your choice)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:54 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:56 »
the best way to learn is for people to make mistakes first.

I entirely agree.

So, if someone has already learned from making that mistake, are they wrong in trying to pass on that knowledge in order to stop someone else making the same one?

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 13:07 »
Nope, not wrong, not wrong at all! :D But also accepting that people might ignore your wisdom and find out for themselves is good too! ;)

I have benefitted greatly from lots of the advice available on here, especially when it conflicts because I like all the different ideas, and making my own mind up what I'm going to try. And also because some things work for some people and not others, what may be a mistake to one person might not actually be a mistake to another. In this case, trying for yourself is the only way to find out!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 13:09 »
hmm nobody is saying they are wrong to do so. And more often than not there is a gem of good pause for thought in a lot of it.

BUT what is "wrong", for want of a much better word, is a lot of people expect instant, definitive answers to their problems. That is human nature to a great extent and we all do it to some point with one thing or another (gardening or otherwise). But what worked for one person may well be inappropriate for another given a whole host of parameters that affect things ie) location, soil type. And the biggest factor of all: folk asking for information when they themselves do not give enough or correct info!

It is great when folk take ideas (not the kind of gospel "I have done this for ever and it works so I am right" mentality that does creep in occasionally) and extrapolate from that, as part of things.

What is most beneficial on here and other forums, is the discussion that often is prompted with the sort of "oh there's an idea" and "wow I'd never have thought of that" and "so that's what I did wrong" sentiments it can generate.

Mercifully this is a rarity of a forum (a good thing) where there is very little of the tantrums from folk whose advice gets ignored. Long may it stay that way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 13:12 by Jonajo »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 13:11 »
The other thing with listening to everyone then making your own mind up is that we do all live in different parts of the cuontry, different weather, different soil, everything!  So I would probably take more notice of someone who lives in Grantham, than someone who lives in the Orkneys!

But I've always taken Munty's advice, because he's lived in lots of places and knows what he's talking about!!!!  

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 13:15 »
My supposition is that people new to gardening are a little nervous and unsure about what they are doing which is why they ask for advice.

If they choose to ignore the advice that is up to them; I just don't like to see beginners being put off possibly for life having taken unnecessary risks which lead to failure.

More experienced growers know how they can "pinch" a bit when it comes to timings, and also how to "back up" their efforts if it all goes wrong.

I love to experiment, and do so every year, but that doesn't include completely ignoring the constraints imposed by the climate and my particular local conditions.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 13:16 »

But I've always taken Munty's advice, because he's lived in lots of places and knows what he's talking about!!!!  

EXACTLY why I thought it appropriate to link to this old thread of his. It's a few years old, but I've never forgotten it.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 13:26 »
The rule of thumb I use is the dates on the packets are for southern climates, so I wait approx three weeks for the majority of veg then sow. (even tho I am in the north west tropics) As both daylight hours and temps increase, germination and growth will be so much more reliable, and no checking of plants as everything is ready.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 13:28 »
Better late than too early - as often said.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 13:36 »

EXACTLY why I thought it appropriate to link to this old thread of his. It's a few years old, but I've never forgotten it.

And I know this is GYO, but I have always listened to Munty's advice when it comes to chickens, and I've learnt such a lot from him, and will always be grateful to him.  (mind you I've listened to others too on here who know what they are talking about).

I still make mistakes, and yes I have been known to try to grow too early and lost stuff.  I'm still not good at successional sowing.  I sow a few things, they don't geminate well so I sow a few more then the sun comes out and everything grows!!!   :D :D

Christine

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 14:23 »

At the end of the day, nothing is going to be fool-proof
I was always told that with the rider "because fools are so ingenious"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It seems though there are few enough of those who stay long in growing their own  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 01:14 »
I've always started off my tomatoes, chillis, aubergines, peppers in January or February. And no, I don't have a heated greenhouse, but I do have lots of windowsills and a spare bedroom. They do fine every year. Sometimes they might get a bit leggy or lean a bit to the light, but that's easy enough to fix when you pot them on, just plant them nice and deep. As long as you've got the space either in the house or in a greenhouse to cope with the plants, I don't see any problem with giving them a nice early start. God knows we don't have the longest summer and it takes a few weeks of sunshine to get some of these things ripe. If you're planting seeds outside then yes, it matters if you start them too early, but inside I'm not really sure it matters too much.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 07:08 »
You are repeating the point made earlier. Many do NOT have the space or facilities to cope with numerous plants they find on their hands or are sowing seed that are unsuited for growing in warm temperatures.

No one is trying to be self-righteous or critical here, that would defeat the purpose of the forum. We are trying to share information and hopefully point out pitfalls & stumbling blocks that we have already found.

If people wish to ignore what has gone before them and do it their own way at the risk of repeating the same mistakes, that is purely up to them.

Many of our members are starting out on a new journey, we're trying to help them with at least a rough map which they can develop into their own sat-nav. (These take you down the wrong route at times as well).

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 08:41 »
Ah but it's human nature. We can't help it.

I've got all these packets of seeds in their box, and I'm sure I can hear them screaming "let me out".
I just can't wait to get started, it's sooo tempting.

Going to start gradually though with the leeks-in-the-cat-litter-tray this w/e so I feel I have something underway,  I might do a few tomatoes in the next couple of weeks but  I'll leave everything else until at least March.  I might have to put a time lock on the seed box though  :tongue2:

This waiting around has made me decide to get a greenhouse!
Penny

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 37 queries.