Can matriarch's change?

• 5 Replies

falcieri

Can matriarch's change?
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:47 »
I have three hens - the boss, the one in the middle who keeps the peace and the one at the bottom who always gets the raw deal. Lately I have noticed the middle one taking the occasional swipe at the boss and then this morning she went for her and took a beakful of feathers out the back of her neck. Boss hen was terrified and made a run for it, which surprised me because she's always been incredible bossy and kept the others in their place.

Do hens get jealous? The middle one has always been the one who liked cuddles, but they've been moulting a lot and she's been a bit off with me lately so I picked up boss hen who doesn't mind but isn't overly fussed. It was as I put her down that number 2 when in for the attack.

They are all moulting heavily at the moment and noone is laying. Could it be hormonal or is someone new vying for the job as top hen?

Claudia

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can matriarch's change?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:22 »
yes the top hen can change, and things will settle down before too long.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43 »
I do believe it can.  The pecking order of my girls changed when top hen moulted. She was practically bald and the normally timid one usurped her for top spot. Once she had her feathers back normal service was resumed  :D  Funny things hens are  :)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37 »
Heh my top hen went broody, then stopped laying even though no longer broody.  It seems not laying egg reduces your status as now the middle hen has taken over. 

The only shame is, now the middle hen is in charge she is much nastier to the bottom hen!

The original boss only gave her a knocking now and then; the new one is pretty relentless!
I hate signatures but love irony

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 19:37 »
...It seems not laying egg reduces your status ...

Yes I think that's the case.  The more fertile hens seem to rise up through the pecking order.  One of my Light Sussex pullets used to be Chief Chook but she doesn't lay many eggs.  The Barred Rock (a prolific layer) seems to be working her way up the pecking order and may well have alrady taken over.

And yes, hens get jealous.  If they see you as the rooster of the flock, then you giving attention to a lower-status hen could trigger a bit of jealousy.

As long as they have plenty of room to get away from each other try not to worry and let them sort it out.

falcieri

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47 »
Thanks everyone, most helpful! They have heaps of room (most of my garden and their night house is my outhouse) so they can keep out of each others way if they need to.

Who'd of thoughts hens could be such a complicated species! I've learnt so much since I've had them and enjoying the learning curve!

:)

xx
sex change hen

Started by sheringhamlass on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 17:56
by New shoot
xx
change in egg quality

Started by marygall on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 21:12
by marygall
clip
How often do you change bedding?

Started by Littlemisspepperpot on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2021, 18:42
by Littlemisspepperpot
xx
pellet change

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 00:24
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 40 queries.