filing the gap planning ahead

• 4 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
filing the gap planning ahead
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:05 »
Aiming to eat mainly articokes and oca from say october to April? If I grow a few duke of york  I think these were the earlies that I people recommended for me that are more like old potatoes. When can I start eating them can i store or sow them in sucession to last me to October or sow some 2nd earlies which are more like old potaotes.

What i'm aiming for is carbs all year round what do people do from april to when you harvest first earlies to be self selfsuficent or do you just buy some?

I'm experimenting with amarinth and quinoa grains but not brilliant due to the weather.

I do have a dehydrator but like the idea of eating fresh when possible.

Any ideas however obscure appriciated please.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: filing the gap planning ahead
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30 »
My stored maincrops usually run out just before Christmas, so after that I buy them.

I've tried sowing some of the 'late harvest'  potatoes and they were a complete waste of time (and seed)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 20:46 »
Some of this is going to be advice for next year as it is too late for this year but,...

The pre-potato carbs of choice in the UK would have been dried beans and peas, plus stored roots like parsnips.  This year has been a bit rubbish for growing beans, but I do usually grow borlotti and various others.
Winter squash has a useful amount - good for roasting or bulking out meals
You could try growing maize, as it true maize rather than sweetcorn.  I've seen articles where people have successfully done this in the south east at least.

On the wild side, OH says burdock is a good one but the roots can be hard to find over winter.  You could dig some now and store like parsnips or beetroots, or dry slices in your dehydrator.  Seakale root is also good. I've got some in the garden, so could dig you a few bits of root out this winter  :)  I've tried the burdock and its quite nice, but only grow seakale for the forced stems so you will have to take OH's word on that one.

Also if you have sweet chestnut trees near you, could be worth collecting and drying.  

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 20:59 »
Didn't find amaranth worth growing last year, and so haven't bothered again

I find that I have enough maincrop potatoes to last through to about the end of February (blight willing of course) and as New Shoot said, dried beans are a great addition.

Butternut squashes last well into March, and last year we grew turk's turban squashes, which stored amazingly well right to the end of April (!)

I tried making maize meal two years ago from dries sweetcorn and that was fairly successful. It made decent, if somewhat heavy, chappati style bread, lovely with butter on it.

One of the stone age carbs was cats tail roots, but I hate the smell of the mud they grow in in shallow water so can't bring myself to try them  :blink:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 21:16 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 19:40 »
I had fair success with borlottis the realseed people list a latvian soup pea sounds interesting.

xx
Planning ahead

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:24
by snow white
xx
Planning ahead....

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 12:45
by beesrus
xx
Planning ahead

Started by Clueless on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 09:04
by WG.
xx
Planning ahead - sweetcorn

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 21:32
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.