stripped back

• 5 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
stripped back
« on: March 24, 2010, 19:14 »
 When i put my garden girls to bed tonite I noticed that Sheila's back has been stripped of feathers :( (she is black araucana)its not bleeding but there is a patch of about6 inches long and 3 wide that has been plucked completely. it was not like that when i had coffee with them at about 5 this afternoon. i can only assume that she submitted to one or more of them and they were vigourous about it.  she is not dominant - nor is she bottom of pecking order but i cannot let her go in with them tomorro - she will have to be confined in a run within the wir.  has this happenned to anyone slse's girls ??? lucyoux

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: stripped back
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 19:15 »
its just one worry after another with hens ::)

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 19:32 »
I noticed one of mine has a bald bit when her crop swells up (probably normal) but there doesn't seem to be any cannibalism going on (yet)
I'm dreading their first full moult which is due in a couple of months!!!
Do they all rush round pecking at each other? :unsure: :(
Sounds like your girl has been treaded? How else can they reach her back? (unless they do it when she's lying down I suppose.......)

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 19:35 »
One of mine did the same in the middle of the snowy period, it was just a fast moult with her.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 21:29 »
thanks for your replies - i havent got a cockerel so no one to tread her - and sh'e not moulting as i noticed some of surrounding feathers have been nipped off close to her skin. I havent noticed them pecking each other but i am at work most of the day so plenty of time to do it when im not watching them. I did have a feather pecker a month or so ago but not been a problem for a while (or so i thought) :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00 »
If you are able to indentify a feather pecker I would remove her and keep her separately but in sight of the main coop and run for a while and then re introduce her. She will have lost her place in the pecking order. Or you could get one of the products that taste nasty designed for this occurrence and put it onto your balding hen. You will need to watch out for any pecks that may draw blood as this will encourage them all to have a go at her.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Help: chicken with toe stripped down to bone!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 20:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
She's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 18:21
by Lost in France
sad
MG HAS COME BACK

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 18:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Going back

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 16:16
by joyfull

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 34 queries.