Ducks at last!

• 6 Replies

scotty

Ducks at last!
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:05 »
at last i have ducks! just taken a year from the start of talking about it to actually getting them!
anyway, i have 7x 20wk old khaki campbell's,  2 questions

1 they are very very wild...not used to humans close by. will they calm down any? i am confining (sp) them for 2wks before letting them out in the field daily.

2 they are a bit scabby looking, presuming they are moulting, how long does this take?

please tell me they will eventually settle down and i'll get eggs! i am so excited about them :D :D :D
oh no, another pair of leaky wellies!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Ducks at last!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 21:00 »
hi scotty - congratulations on your new girls! i dont know anything about ducks but i did have some terrified araucana hens a few months back who wouldnt let me anywhere near them - it only took about a month for them to become tame - and now they are not a bit nervouse of me and will eat from my hand - so good luck with your ducks and lets have some photos! :D lucyloux

Shedenvy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 22:51 »
we have 5 indian runner ducks which we've had since August last year they were very skittish at first but they are a lot better now, they love lettuce which they will take from your hand but you couldn't pick one up unless in the duck house they dont get any closer than 12" (just out of arms reach) but that could be just runners they all go round in a herd together not like chickens doing their own thing  they are all such characters that we dont regret having them for a minute they dont peck like chickens and are less destructive in the garden ours didnt lay in the first year but were only just old enough by november but all started laying on 11 feb and we get 1 egg a day from the girls and its true duck eggs do make the best cakes!

scotty

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21 »
thanks for the support! sounds like they should calm down eventually to at least be able to look at them! really didn't think they would come round to the picking up stage at all. was in 2 minds about getting runners myself, but were so much harder to come by around here that the khaki c won out.
in the process of worming and then got them some of that poultry spice to give once worming finished. hoping this will get them along their way to top condition....and then i might get some eggs!
will 2wks be enough to keep them in? before allowed out to free range in the day? or keep in a bit longer as they are so wild?

thanks again. will try to get some pics later in the week...when the sun comes out (hoping)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 17:17 »
Hi,

Congratualtions on your ducks. I adore mine, you will never regret getting them. They are just so much fun.
I have to say that my Campbells have been the most skittish of all the ducks I have had. I have had them for 3 years sine they were 6 weeks old and they are still nervy round me and won't eat from my hand although will happily crowd round me for treats with all the others. Would judge how they are in 2 weeks time and it should be fine providing they are some where fenced in so you can herd them back to bed at night.

As to looking scruffy, at 20 weeks they should just be finishing their second moult into their nuptuial plummage and once that is done eggs should be on their way. :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

scotty

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 22:37 »
thanks kate,

i am going to give them a week of special treats at bed time of meal worms.....been told they love them. heres hoping its enough to make them want to come in of the night. unfortuately they will be getting out into a field but should be able to herd them to the corner where their house is should the worst happen. just hope when i let them out that they don't disappear in 7 different directions never to be seen again! will let you know how it goes next week!
their feathers are starting to improve in just 1 wk. have just done a worming course as well, so hoping they will new be in better fettle.
cheers, still very excited about them :D :D :D
Dianne

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:50 »
I'm really jealous!! Good luck with them and I am sure with perseverance and time you will win them round. My Grandparents had Khaki Campbells when my dad were a lad, he tells me that they used to come into the house for a nose around before they were chased out by my Grandmother. He says theirs were friendly but I suppose it depends how they have been handled a ducklings. Still jealous :D :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks per Sq Mtr

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 19:49
by ANHBUC
xx
Ducks

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 21:39
by orchardlady
xx
3 little ducks . . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 17:56
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.