Would it be right?

• 8 Replies

ynysmonron

Would it be right?
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:06 »
I have 8 ex batt hens and they are now looking lovely. Would it be right to introduce them to a cock?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Would it be right?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:15 »
how long have you had them and how strong are their bones?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:24 »
When I have had a cockerel running with my girls I noticed that the two ex-barns are the ones who lose the most condition from mating and even now, a couple of months after the last cockerel went, one of the girls has not refeathered as well as the others as a result. You will need to keep a close eye that he doesn't favour just one of them as although a strong purebreed would be able to cope with this an ex-bat may find it too stressful and will suffer more. Although a saddle would solve this problem in terms of feather loss if they still have weak bones there could be more serious damage.

I love having a cockerel in with the girls and don't by any means think I am trying to put you off as I think if they are strong enough to go ahead and try as they will actually prefer having him around  :)

We have forgot to tell you we need pics of all your little feathered ones - 'tis the law on here  ;)  :D

ynysmonron

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:44 »
If this works I will send more, Ron.
DSCI0189 [320x200].JPG

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 18:06 »
hi ron, how lonmg have you had your girls for? ive had mine 3 days!

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37 »
Can I ask why you want to introduce a cockerel to your ex-batts? As ex-batts are hybrids they rarely go broody.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:18 »
Hi, i have a cockerel running with my girls BUT i have 1 cokerel and 18 girls, only 8 of these are ex-batts, and mine was an accidental cockerel. I would never knowingly have introduced a cockerel to them. Cara is right, the ex-batts come off worse. I have a good ratio and they are still 'threadbare' where he treads hem. I have some ex-batts coming in April and he wont be allowed anywhere near them for a few months at least. Is the photo you put up of your girls a recent one? if so then in my opinion they dont look anywhere near ready to run with a cockerel as some have not feathered up properly. They dont need a cockerel, and as they dont go broody easily you may find they will be happier without ;)

ynysmonron

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19 »
Hi Lucylou, I got mine on 11th feb, and some of them have full feathers now.
and Sassy, I have been offered a cock and just want to be safe
DSCI0199 [320x200].JPG
DSCI0200 [320x200].JPG
DSCI0197 [640x480].JPG

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 00:39 »
I had my boy when my ex batts were mostly feathered & other hens because they were always squabbling & picking at each other. He soon sorted that out. He looks after them very well & they all love him. He even took a newbie hen to the group under his wing recently. What a gent!  :wub:

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 37 queries.