Best time of year to grass my paths?

• 10 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Best time of year to grass my paths?
« on: June 02, 2013, 16:54 »
As above really! When I took on my plot it was a weed jungle with no grass at all. I have made some beds by simply edging them with scrap bits of wood/logs that were on the plot etc so that I had defined beds and paths. I had originally hoped to do my paths with bark chips etc but it will be expensive (unable to source free/cheap ones) and will need topping up each year and so I have decided to go for grass like all the other plots. I know it will need cutting but I think it will look better than the mud I currently have that the weeds are so tempted by!

My question is when will be the best time of year to seed the paths? I know I won't be able to walk on them for a while (how long?) and I have alternative ways to get round most of my plot which aren't ideal but will do for a while as long ask don't need to do any serious work in the beds. I was thinking autumn - what do others think?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best time of year to grass my paths?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 17:55 »
I think that's best as well  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 18:27 »
I've just seeded my lawn at home and it's a nightmare - needs watering daily and you can't walk on it.

I agree with leaving it until September or so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 18:34 »
Perfect! I mentioned this to my fiancé (non gardening type) who said that it would be too late as nothing grows in autumn/winter and it made me think twice.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:04 »
I have grass paths (most of us do at the higher end of our site) and I seriously wish I didn't!!

They are hell to look after and then you have people (like my plot neighbour) who have foot-high grass surround the edge of her plot! >:(

Have you asked your local council about wood chips? Ours does regular give aways when they have a massive pile, and in February, the council were triming the trees around our sit and up the lane and I appeared while they were there and asked them to leave the chippings in a pile in our carpark - which they were pleased to do.

If your site is council run, you could ask your allotment officer about it :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:26 »
Hi,

Yes I have asked and our council charge £100 per trailer load and I worked out I would need 2-3 loads to cover my paths. I think they put people off because they want to use it on their massive recycling/compost site which they make compost from and sell. I have also tried ringing local tree surgeons - all of whom charge (slightly cheaper but still pricey) so unfortunately wood chips is definitely a no go for me :(

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55 »
I had a 3 hour lecture on grass as uni, the only thing I remember from it is that grass grows most in sprind and autumn  :)

What the rest of the 2 hours and 59 minutes was filled with I can't remember!

Hannah :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 13:16 »
Hi,

Yes I have asked and our council charge £100 per trailer load and I worked out I would need 2-3 loads to cover my paths. I think they put people off because they want to use it on their massive recycling/compost site which they make compost from and sell. I have also tried ringing local tree surgeons - all of whom charge (slightly cheaper but still pricey) so unfortunately wood chips is definitely a no go for me :(

:ohmy: Oh my goddess!
We don't know how lucky we are down here sometimes!

Sue33

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 14:19 »

Think March and September are supposed to be the best times for sowing grass seed, I'll be doing the same thing come September  ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 15:05 »
September is deffo the best time. The soil is still warm and hopefully the sun will still be about.  Remember, Autumn is nature's planting time.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 20:38 »
Hi,

:ohmy: Oh my goddess!
We don't know how lucky we are down here sometimes!

I know - I get very jealous when I see popes talking about free woodchips on here!

September it will be then - thanks guys!

xx
Grass paths and edges...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

28 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 06:51
by Growster...
xx
when is the best time to sow grass seed?

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 18:34
by arugula
xx
Aphids at this time of year??

Started by Yana on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 22:54
by Yana
xx
Weed killing at this time of year.

Started by ambodach on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2014, 16:48
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 40 queries.