Moss problem

• 8 Replies

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Moss problem
« on: January 29, 2009, 15:37 »
My lawn is north facing with a 6ft wall down one side and is now full of moss. Is there anything i can do to prevent it or is it gonna keep coming back year after year  :(

Chappers
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Moss problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 15:43 »
I have a sililarly shaded lawn with loads of moss.  Last year in spring I started attacking it with weed and feed.  It looked awful when all the moss went brown but at least it was dead.  I put grass seed on the bare patches.

I did it again last autumn and must say that it is looking much better.  Still a way to go, but definately greener and much less moss.  Will do it again in spring and autumn. 

Think I read somewhere that if you have moss in the lawn it was a good idea not to cut it too short.
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 19:15 »
Moss loves to grow where there's little to no nutrition left in the soil, and where it's alkaline. You can buy specific moss killing products or simply do as Ice did, feed the soil. If you don't wish to use fertilizer, there are manure based organic-type fertilizers available.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 19:32 »
Buy a good quality scarifier and really work hard raking out the moss.  Don't worry about all the bare patches.

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 21:33 »
Buy a good quality scarifier and really work hard raking out the moss.  Don't worry about all the bare patches.
.... and if you do it early enough, the birdies will thank you for all that lovely bedding for there chicks! But it is an annual chore, and needs continual raking/feeding/raking/feeding... (or scarifying if you can scrounge one!)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 22:29 »
spiking/aerating also helps but the raking out is the important bit - as often as you can - very good exercise of course but watch the back
R

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 16:46 »
I did it about 18 months ago when it was terrible, put moss killer down, scarrified it with a petrol mower til it was bare, put a ton of nice topsoil down to level it and sowed grass seed, and now we are back to square one  :ohmy:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 21:52 »
I did it about 18 months ago when it was terrible, put moss killer down, scarrified it with a petrol mower til it was bare, put a ton of nice topsoil down to level it and sowed grass seed, and now we are back to square one  :ohmy:

It's the position of the lawn that won't help, you'll get it more or less every year.

If you follow the advice above scarify ( not with a mower !)  weed and feed, mow regularly but not too short, make sure the mower picks up the grass clipping that'll help too. Then you will keep on top of it and over years it may get better, don't forget a good lawn takes hours of work

Best book is the Lawn expert borrow a copy from the library.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 17:38 »
You've just reminded me why I'll never have a lawn again. And yes - the Lawn Expert book will really talk you through all you need to know.

xx
moss

Started by Fairy Plotmother on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 17:12
by fatcat1955
xx
Moss

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 08:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Moss

Started by visionwf on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 23:35
by viettaclark
xx
Get rid of moss

Started by amiman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 19:57
by jezza

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 34 queries.