Composting Wood Shavings?

• 12 Replies

sando8901

« on: November 08, 2008, 09:47 »
Hello
Got guinea pigs and I throw away their bedding because I can't get the wood shavings to rot down. Seems such a waste.

Short of burning, which all they do is seem to dampen the fire down til it goes out, are there any tips to get them composting down to be able to use in he garden?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:30 »
You could sprinkle thin layers in your heap, or mix it up well and it should be ok , wood shavings do tend to slow a heap down tho'
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 11:39 »
I found the same and have changed to a flax based bedding intended for horses. Vaguely similar consistency to shavings but I've found it more absorbant and the smell less. Huge bag for £7.50 and composts down a treat.  For me loads better and won't be using wood shavings again.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Brambles

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:00 »
I found the same and have changed to a flax based bedding intended for horses. Vaguely similar consistency to shavings but I've found it more absorbant and the smell less. Huge bag for £7.50 and composts down a treat.  

Is this bedding ok for chickens too?  I too have loads of woodshavings to compost, use some in the general compost bin and another just for woodchip plus grass clippings (layered)..  Flax based sounds worth a try.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 12:25 »
There's also megazorb (also sold as horse bedding) which the manufacturer claims composts quickly: http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/megazorb.htm

It's a bit of a big bag for the number of animals I have so I used wood or recycled paper based cat litter.

Tam

DANNY

Woodshavings
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 23:04 »
You really shouldnt use woodshavings for composting becaues the shavings can carry decease,
I worked for many years on an large estate and one year in an effort to save money they estate manager decided to have tons of shavings delivered for free from a chip bourd factory near to CHIRK north wales we ended up with all sorts of red mite problems, and other crawlies that became a huge problem for both veg and flower beds? It took for ever to rid the soil of them.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 21:36 »
when composting woodshavings use los of activators and keep well covered to keep hot i have 4 bins on the go mainly for shavings from my chucks this gives them plenty of time to cook making great compost

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Re: Composting Wood Shavings?
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 13:48 »
Ive just gone over to shredded paper for my chickens, seems much better than shavings, composts well and is freely available  :D
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 20:57 »
as posted wood shavings can harbour ,all sorts of problems  :( with their long breakdown period you are better off burning/binning them. imo.

Brambles

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 22:19 »
Chappers...  do you not find that shredded paper gets tangled around your girls feet and legs?   I used it for a little while and found that my silkies got into a bit of a state with it... 

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 16:48 »
No i use the stuff thats been cross shredder so its only an inch or so long, both me and the Mrs can get it from work  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 22:16 »
Here's a interesting article on composting sawdust. LINKY

Brambles

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:28 »
Very interesting article Rich...  This would be a good idea for footpaths then?  Not containing food for WEEDS :D :D :D 

xx
Composting

Started by casper on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 15:52
by jezza
xx
Composting Yew

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:15
by sion01
xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post April 04, 2022, 22:16
by pepsi100
xx
Composting - Lid On / Lid Off.

Started by sausage on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 00:42
by leeky

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 39 queries.