alstroemeria

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

alstroemeria
« on: June 25, 2020, 09:47 »
I've picked your brains over growing zinnia now i would like some advise on growing alstroemeria from seed because my wife says its hard to grow from seed is she rite?

i read that alstroemeria are sensitive to root disturbance much like zinnia so would one grow these using the same method as zinnia i ask myself and according to the seed catalogue it takes alstroemeria 2 years to flower properly? there's only one variety in the seed catalogue Ligtu Hybrids the seeds would cost around £6.55 + vat for 60 seeds is it worth the challenge  :unsure:

Debz

Re: alstroemeria
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:50 »
My mum has a variety in her garden but we don't know what it's called.  It's and orange flowering one and grows like a weed.  It sets its own seed all over the place and I have to keep pulling them out for her.  They are growing under azaleas so it's quite shady and a bit dry but this was is not difficult to grow.  Maybe some of the fancier varieties are a bit more picky about how and where they germinate.

mrs bouquet

Re: alstroemeria
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:27 »
I think that is lovely, I have tried to grow them with no success.   I note that you said growing under Azalea.  That suggests to me acid soil and ours is very chalky.    I must look that up. Sorry I don't know the variety, I would be happy with any  :)    They are always the cut flower I am drawn to because they last so long.   Sorry, not a lot of help really.  ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Advice for germinating alstroemeria seeds please!

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 14:35
by JayG

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 36 queries.