When do I start dusting my chicks for mites?

• 3 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
When do I start dusting my chicks for mites?
« on: June 21, 2012, 14:57 »
The 7 week or so chicks I have are in a brooder area in the barn. Do I need to dust them for mites yet? Do I need to put anything in the brooder area?

Also what do I feed them after chick crumb, I know I need to add grit into their diet at 8-10weeks old but do I need to switch to layers pellets, growers pellets or mixed corn?

Im guessing layers pellets are for chickens destined to lay eggs and growers pellets are for chickens destined for the oven?

Thanks very much :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: When do I start dusting my chicks for mites?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 15:22 »
They can go on growers around 8 weeks, mix it in with whatever chick crumb you have left over.  Keep them on growers until they are around 18 weeks and then give them layers although others may say earlier or later (when they start to lay).

If they are freeranging they will probably pick up grit at the right size for them.  You can always put budgie grit in for them if they don't freerange.

I put a little diametreous earth powder in with the chicks bedding as they tend to dust bathe in it.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 15:33 »
Thanks for clearing those things up for me ANHBUC :) Ive discovered a great feed place near me that sells 20kg of chick crumb for £9.60. I was paying £5.30 for 4kg previously.

Im still too paranoid about mr fox to let them stay in their coop at night so they're back in the barn overnight and when the weathers poo i.e today. Is it important for them to have light in their brooder area? I have one fireglow bulb on them all the time but am worried if they dont get natural light they may not lay or develop properly. The barn does have skylights so natural light is getting in but is a little gloomy.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 15:50 »
The odd day won't matter to them if they get to freerange in the nice weather.  They do love to be outdoors, mine like sleeping on top of their hutch or on a tree branch I have put in their run.

xx
What age can you treat chicks for mites/lice etc?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 14:45
by carolbriar
xx
What do I need to do to start to breed from my chicks/

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 15:21
by Nails
question
Dusting Chickens

Started by susiedig on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 11:56
by Lastcast
xx
dusting hens advice please

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 23:28
by joyfull

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 35 queries.