Dusting Chickens

• 8 Replies

susiedig

• warrens letting agency
Dusting Chickens
« on: September 19, 2011, 19:22 »
Hi, we have found red mite this year and have rushed out and bought all the stuff required. The shed is sparkling clean and treated but we wonder what is the best way to treat the chickens. What methods would you recommend please?

Chrysalis

Re: Dusting Chickens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 19:57 »
We use red mite powder (clue in the title :tongue2:) and have had no problems.  We use diatom in the shed and/or a general disinfectant powder called Stalosan.  However we have just had our first infestation of lice.  :ohmy: Not bad in three years, I suppose  ;) The louse powder wasn't good for keeping it at bay, so we've treated our girls with Frontline (just like the dog!)  :nowink:.  A follow up this week should sort it out.

Good luck!! :)

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 20:21 »

Can I ask, (since I'm beaten to the question I was about to post tonight  ;) )

How do you dust the chooks  ??? (With diatom)

I mean, what is the best way to handle the chickens, and where on the bird do you dust?

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 21:17 »

Can I ask, (since I'm beaten to the question I was about to post tonight  ;) )

How do you dust the chooks  ??? (With diatom)

I mean, what is the best way to handle the chickens, and where on the bird do you dust?

You don't need to, they make a much better job of dusting themselves.  If you've bought the Red Mite Powder or Louse Powder sold in the white cardboard tubes and made by Barrier you've just wasted your hard earned cash.  They are both the same product in a different tube.  The only difference is the Louse powder has avocado oil added to gloss a horses coat.  They are both sterilised corn flour base plus aromatic herbs and the same active ingredient citrodiol.  This is a mosquito repellent which as far as I've been able to tell from my own experience, and others I know, and  consulting the manufactures and the manufacturer of citrodiol has no effect on red mite though citrodiol has been shown to be effective against some species of mozies.  However as Chx aren' too bothered by mozzies and don't buy their stuff gullible chicken owners do that doesn't worry the suppliers they are very happy to take your money for their corn flour talc.

If you really want to get rid of lice use Frontline at least it works and costs about the same as the useless powder and spray.  For Red Mite checkout this site there's reams on the subject all of which will be more effective than corn flour and a mozzy repellent.

HF
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 21:20 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Goldfinger

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 21:31 »

I've used diatom earth in the coop and perches, so was really wondering how to deal with the chooks' side of things.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 21:42 »

I've used diatom earth in the coop and perches, so was really wondering how to deal with the chooks' side of things.

You don't need to RM don't live on the chx they live in the nooks and crannies in the house and only come out to feed on the chx blood at night time so you rarely see them in the daylight.  they usually hide under roosting bars and in corners.

You can't zap them on the chx.  Lice you can by putting 4 drops of cat strength Frontline on the skin at the BACK OF THE NECK.  Two drops for bantams.
HF

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:53 by hillfooter »

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50 »
I sprinkle diatom in the girls dust bath  ;)
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:03 »
I'm sorry, I saw your heading and just had this image appear in my head of us all running around with feather dusters dusting our chickens like ornaments. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:56 »
If you want to dust individual hens, you need a pillow case, powder into pillow case, hen into pillow case, good shake, job done......honestley we didn't shake the hens !! sat them on our laps with head outside of case, you may want to wear a mask to avoid inhaling the powder.

xx
dusting hens advice please

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 23:28
by joyfull
xx
Large run dusting for red mite? Like Aunty's run!

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 10:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Pale Comb with a white dusting?

Started by westview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:42
by westview
xx
When do I start dusting my chicks for mites?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 15:50
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.