Cucumber Relish

• 9 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Cucumber Relish
« on: August 18, 2011, 13:12 »
I'm wanting to make some cucumber relish, and there's a nice-looking recipe on here that's made with red peppers too.  Two questions:  1) Do the cucumber and peppers stay crunchy if they're simmered for ten minutes as suggested, and 2) Is it possible to thicken the liquid with cornflour so there's a bit of a sauce around the veg, or isn't that necessary?
Thanks  :)

Kleftiwallah

Re: Cucumber Relish
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 13:21 »

The recipe we usually make calls for cucumber celery and green peppers and after salting for 30 min's, they are cooked for 30 min's in the spices / vinegar etc.   Always turnes out nice and crunchy, so go ahead and 'fill yer boots'!  There is a hand scribbled note from us to us to make twice the recommended 'gravy'.      Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 13:30 »
Thanks, Tony - so do you thicken the vinegar etc. to make the 'gravy', or does it just thicken by itself?  And do you use sugar?  This recipe doesn't - it's just cucumber, peppers, lime juice, wine vinegar and mustard seeds.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 14:16 »
I've never made this recipe
http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/8/vals-recipe-for-cucumber-and-pepper-relish/

if this is the one you are talking about, but It looks to me like it's like a pickled onions sort of pickle, rather than a thick one like picalilli.

edit to correct link, sorry  :blush:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 15:24 by mumofstig »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 15:07 »

4oz sugar, 3 level tbsp mustard powder, 5 level tbsp plain flour, 1 level tbsp turmeric and 1/2 pint cider vinegar.   So the flour does the thickening.     Cheers,    Tony.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 15:18 »
Thanks Tony - my husband can't eat wheat flour, so I'll try substituting cornflour.  As for the recipe, MumofStig, it's as follows:

750g cucumber
2 large red peppers
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp mustard seeds
Salt for brining

You brine/rinse the chopped cucumber, then soak the thinly sliced peppers in the lime juice before bringing everything to the boil and simmering for ten minutes.  Wondered about the fact there's no sugar, because whilst I don't have a sweet tooth and often use less sugar than recipes suggest (unless the full amount is needed for preserving), the prospect of vinegar and lime juice without any at all does sound a little eye-watering!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 15:26 »
sorry, I've corrected the link now, but as I said it sounds very like a vinegar, the sort for pickled onions or gherkins

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 15:29 »
Yes, that's the one, but I just wondered whether it would be possible to adapt it so it was more like the consistency of those finely chopped relishes that have an almost glutenous texture.  I'll experiment and see how it goes!

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47 »
Here's a simple Nigella recipe - I've modified it.

Peel cukes and slice quite thinly.

Put in bowl with some cider vinegar, caster sugar and fresh or dried dill.
I use around 1 - 2 tbs vinegar, 1 - 2 tsp sugar and vary the dill.  Up to you, play with the quantities.

Leave to marinade for at least an hour - enjoy!  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 14:12 »
Thanks for the various responses - I thought I'd let you know how I got on!  Although I'd picked up the recipe for Cucumber & Red Pepper Relish (mentioned above) from this site, I discovered quite by chance that it's actually from an ancient little pickles and preserves recipe book from Sainsbury's that I have on my shelf, and there was a photo in there of the finished product ... it looked a bit soft and squishy!  As I wanted mine crunchy, I modified the recipe so that I had roughly equal quantities of finely diced cucumber, red pepper and celery, and then added a smaller quantity of red onion.  I didn't simmer the mixture at all (the recipe suggests doing so for ten minutes) - I simply brought the vinegar and some granulated sugar to the boil, added the veg and mustard seeds, and then packed it into jars.  

I ended up with just over 2 kilos of diced veg, and used 1kg for the crunchy summer relish and 1kg for a sort of piccalili as suggested by Tony.  For the piccalili, I pretty much followed the recipe in the River Cottage Handbook, except that rather than the vegetables Pam Corbin suggests (cauli, runner beans, etc.) I just stuck to my basic mix of cue, peppers, celery and onion.  It worked a treat, and both lots look really pretty in their jars because of the mixed colours spiked with the little mustard seeds.

So, thanks once again for the responses - that's why I love this site, because it gives me the confidence to experiment!  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 14:16 by cheshirecheese »

xx
red onion relish,

Started by jolly jen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 22:52
by jolly jen
xx
sweetcorn relish

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2006, 23:17
by hayles62
xx
radish relish

Started by dustcartkev on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 21:10
by dustcartkev
xx
Gherkin relish

Started by supervegman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 13:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 36 queries.