News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

Oliveview

News from the refuge
« on: August 10, 2013, 16:46 »
Yesterday a mum dog and her 4 pups were thrown over the fence at the refuge, not nice for the dogs, it was a big drop down. At least the pups and Mum  are safe, but we are now overflowing with dogs!  We set a limit at 30, because of needing to build kennels, we now have 43 or maybe 45, I am not sure!!  That does not include the dogs thatcare being fostered, and street dogs that are being fed ' on the street' in safe areas. It is so depressing at times!

Pamela

Springlands

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 18:12 »
Pamela - how awful for you all. Especially as you had some good news recently. Just seems like one step forward and one back.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 21:06 »
It always horrifies me when you tell us these things Pamela.  Who throws a dog and puppies over a fence  :(  I know you are overcrowded, but better with you than outside by the sound of it.

You had that lovely couple rehome 3 dogs recently.  There are still good people out there  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 21:12 »
Poor Mum & pups.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 21:16 »
Oh Pamela, I really do feel for you hun.  I had to stop volunteering for Cats Protection because the stress was making me more unwell.  I really cannot understand some peoples attitudes towards poor defenceless creatures who have as much, if not more right, to live on this planet.  Makes me feel quite ashamed to be human sometimes... :(

You are doing a wonderful (and much needed) job hun and I think you're an amazing lady.  :) 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BobE

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 21:22 »
I agree Auntie.
I know that at Battersea they have a time limit and then well.....
Also badley damaged ones, mentally, that can't really be rehomed .......
Older ones that have no real chance .......
The females are nutured, I think you do do that.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 21:37 »
I agree Auntie.
I know that at Battersea they have a time limit and then well.....
Also badley damaged ones, mentally, that can't really be rehomed .......
Older ones that have no real chance .......
The females are nutured, I think you do do that.
So sad....the RSPCA do the same unfortunately... :(

I was the neutering officer for our local branch and it really did amaze me what people expected of a voluntary organisation ("I'm moving, take my cat, it's your job").  I spent so much time ferrying peoples cats to and from the vets to have them neutered (for free), as otherwise they wouldn't bother.  Tis a thankless task and at the end of the day, the poor animals suffer....

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 15:30 »
Oh Pamela, I really do feel for you hun.  I had to stop volunteering for Cats Protection because the stress was making me more unwell.  I really cannot understand some peoples attitudes towards poor defenceless creatures who have as much, if not more right, to live on this planet.  Makes me feel quite ashamed to be human sometimes... :(
You are doing a wonderful (and much needed) job hun and I think you're an amazing lady.  :)
I echo AM - my three rescue cats have been an absolute blessing to me. We live in an isolated farming area and they have the full run of gardens and fields. They get fed on good food, have warmth, lots of cuddles, and it has been an absolute joy to watch them blossom. In turn, they have always been there when I needed solace in hard times, or just a furry body pushed right up to me in the night to make me feel secure. I am horrified that anyone could discard a dog with her pups like that. Many curses on them.  >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 16:04 »
This morning at the refuge things could have turned very nasty, the Staffy squeezed through the gate
to attack the big Dalmatian, they HATE each other :ohmy:   The other girl grabbed the Staffy by the tail, the other girl and me grabbed a broom each, I whacked the dogs as Temy pulled Pepa by her tail, then the other girl hit ME over the head with a broom, she was aiming at the dogs, her aim was not good :lol: :lol:
No dogs were injured, Temy got a grazed knee from some wood, the other girl shut her finger in the stable door and I had a sore head, but at least the dogs were ok :lol:

Pamela
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 16:08 by Oliveview »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 16:05 »
RSPCA does always make me a bit cross. They hold reserves of £160million-ish, have a steady income stream about about £50million in legacies per year, quite apart from donations, and they eat up so much of the donated income that could go to smaller animal welfare charities that survive on a shoe-string and without their corporate structures and fundraising teams.

I do appreciate that they do good things, but I also think that they unnecessarily swamp the field.

(small rant over, descending off soap box and going back to my corner)  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 16:06 »
This morning at the refuge things could have turned very nasty, the Staffy squeezed through the gate
to attack the big Dalmatian, they HATE eachother :ohmy:   The other girl grabbed the Staffy by the tail, the other girl and me grabbed a broom each, I whacked the digs as Temy pulled Pepa by her tail, then the other girl hit ME over the head with a broom, she was aiming at the dogs, her aim was not good :lol: :lol:
No dogs were injured, Temy got a grazed knee from some wood, the other girl shut her finger in the stable door and I had a sore head, but at least the dogs were ok :lol:

Pamela

OW!! Well done on the speedy reactions all round!

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 16:19 »
Pepa, the Staffy is off to a refuge up north, on Sunday, she is to be assessed, there is a family wanting her, and Dalma, the Dalmatian, is going to a foster family in Barcelona, or maybe Bilbao. The dog, with one eye, is off to on Sunday too, to a Dutch family in Madrid, Sunday is a busy morning!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 23:10 »
Our friends neighbour died suddenly and unexpectantly  at home, with no family and a puppy beside his body.  We rang the RSPCA  and they refused to help, they did not have an enployee close by, so we offered to drive the dog to their kennels- in north Essex I think it was,  they did not want to know.  I asked what should I do with the pup- the man said take him to the vet to be put to sleep!!!  This was about 9-10 years ago though, I hope they had changed.  After that I refused to give them a penny of my money. 
The pup was re-homed through being headlines in the local paper,  ´pups vigil beside dead owners body´ I came home to an answer machine full of messages offering him a home  :lol: :lol:

Pamela

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 14:16 »
My OH won't hear of them, and that was an awful response from them. I don't know how their funding system works, so is it just for them or can they allot funding to smaller and needy charities with a good track record?

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 22:25 »
Two steps forward and one step back...... The good news is the Dalmatian, Staffy and the Mastin pup who her eye removed are off to new homes on Sunday.
The step back......
We have a Bodeguero dog ( terrier type with black head) he came to the refuge last week, he was a stray.  He has a swollen face, on one side, it had gone down, but today it was swollen again, so tonight we took 3 dogs to the vet. The bodeguero has a broken jaw, the vet said he had probably been hit with a stick.  The pup, has hopefully worms and not parvo virus.  The very bad news, a lovely Labrador, about 4 years old, has been in foster care, he has been unwell for a week, the lady did not say, he has a bad sore all around his mouth and has not been eating, the vet said the dog is suffering from stress and possible Leishmania, which is not good news.  The vet took blood, so we wait for the results.
At least when the Dalmatian and Staffy go we will have 2 empty kennels, so the Lab can come to us. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the pups are all ok. They are so cute, imagin wire haired pups that are like Labradors!!

Pamela

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 41 queries.