Peppers advice please

• 9 Replies

ryetek

Peppers advice please
« on: April 24, 2013, 13:51 »
It's the first year with our new GH so I've sown some pepper seeds to go in there later on.

We currently have 3 California Wonder (1 didn't germinate), 4 Bullhorn mix and 4 Hungarian Hot Wax pepper seedlings. These were sown mid-March and took an age to germinate (over four weeks) even when kept in an un-heated propagator in the airing cupboard. Currently all the seedlings look well but they don't appear to be growing that fast. They are still only at the seed leaf stage and show no signs of producing real leaves. They have not yet been out of the house yet and are on the windowsill in our utility room with foil behind them.

Is this slow growth normal for peppers, am I being impatient or is there another problem?

Thanks in advance.

Beetroot queen

Re: Peppers advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 14:01 »
I am rubbish with peppers so I will watch this post closely. I try every year and fail.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 14:09 »
It's too cold and too gloomy for them to be doing much else Im afraid.  :(

I've kicked mine out into the greenhouse inside one of those plastic grow house things to help. Once the weather picks up they should romp away.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 14:19 »
Like a lot of people I sowed my peppers and chillis  in January - because they are so slow to get started and need a long season of growth.
Atm they are out in the greenhouse during the day, and back in at night  ;)

Have you a warmer window ledge they can use for a while ?

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 14:35 »
I sowed some hungarian hot wax chillies at the beginning of February and they are still teeny... tiny... only just showing true leaves!  I'm not sure they will ever do anything, they have been on a sunny windowsil in the living room but I think that has still been too cold at times!

I will know in future to perhaps not bother??  I think if we want chillies this year we will have to go and buy established plants from the chilli farm along the road like we did last year!

Hannah :)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 15:30 »
We (me and my 5-year old twin girls) sowed 5 types of peppers about 6 weeks ago (early March), and until about 10 days ago, we had one seedling between us (from one pot each of each of 5 peppers, two seeds in each pot....so 30 seeds)... But in the last week, we've gone from 1 seedling to 24 :)

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 15:43 »
Sowed bullhorn 5 Mar in heated propogator. Good germination  then onto windowcill in conservatory.Just started to get true leaves. very sulky, hope things improve afer this coming cold weekend
Bish

ryetek

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 16:08 »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like it's just the sulky peppers and not my impatience or lack of knowledge then. Your help, experiences and opinions are appreciated  :)

Have you a warmer window ledge they can use for a while ?

In reply to your question MoS it's the warmest window ledge in the house and is right next to the bolier and airing cupboard. The temperture rarely drops below 17c. The only hotter place we have is the greenhouse but that's only during the day (and not every day at the moment)  :(

It's too cold and too gloomy for them to be doing much else Im afraid.  :(

Lardman, does this keep them warm enough during the night or do you bring them in?

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 16:32 »
Lardman, does this keep them warm enough during the night or do you bring them in?

Techincally - no. Practically - close enough. I have a remote thermometer in there which has recorded a low of 9C. If it was looking like a cold night with a frost I might bring them back in, but with night time temps of 5-6C I'll risk it for the extra light.

Most of the time it's warmer in there than I keep it in the house anyway  :lol:

ryetek

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 16:38 »
Most of the time it's warmer in there than I keep it in the house anyway  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Lardman. Maybe I'll go for putting them in the GH during the day and back in the house at night then. Next year I may try a growhouse inside the GH but I'll just keep hoping for warmer weather this year. Surely it must be just around the corner  ;)

xx
Sweet peppers - advice please

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2016, 22:05
by smilydog
xx
Best peppers?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2022, 18:27
by Pimento
xx
peppers help please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:52
by Sal1610
xx
Peppers

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 12:38
by Sophie_Chilli

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 30 queries.