Protecting new trees from weeds

• 6 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
« on: July 20, 2007, 18:45 »
Last Autumn I made great preparations before planting an edible hedge of 50 saplings (Ithink they were called "whips".
I killed all the weeds on the 2 foot x 20 yards strip with WEEDOL, and then covered the whole strip with black Teram - as explained by you guys on this forum. Then I slit the black stuff and planted the trees by what I was told was the slit method. Then I covered most of it with grass cuttings.
Well I was so pleased when during Spring I saw almost all 50 coming to life and they are now doing OK ...................  :roll: Except
Masses of nasty weeds, including the dreaded Mare's tail and bindweed, are now threating all my beloved edible hedge.
 :idea: OK, I have painted the mare's tail and bindweed as explained on another string. But I need advice on my next plan:
I want to strip the bottom 2 feet on all the trees, of their leaves, lift all the black stuff and blast the whole lot with weedol or round-up. The assumption is that the weedol only kills when it hits the greenery.
Will the trees be OK for they have plenty foliage higher up.
Then after all the weeds die, I'll put the black teram back but this time I've been told to cover it with a thick layer of wood chippings.
Well, that's the idea ............... Do you think it will work :?:  :D
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 19:45 »
I personally don't like the black stuff.... and would rather not risk weedol round expensive bushes.

Soooo my suggestion is to go to your local garage/shop and ask for loads of cardboard boxes.

Open them out, put a slit up one side and slide it round the tree 'trunk'. Then again with another piece from the other side. Then cover with old hay, grass clippings etc.  

Benefits:
1 It keeps weeds at bay
2 It will gradually rot down providing additional organic matter in the soil which will both fertilise the plant and help the soil retain moisture.

Worried it won't last for ever?  - Just repeat next year or add more hay/grass when ever weeds start to show.  

This has worked very well for me round gooseberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, globe artichokes, apple trees etc.  

And there won't be some synthetic uncompostable stuff to get rid of in a few years time either.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 19:50 »
Thanks for that tip Salkeela !

I plan to put some fruit bushes in next year so that is just what I'll try  :D

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 20:15 »
My suggestion is similar to saleekas, and what I was doing on my permaculture course just last weekend.    
1)Pull out any couch grass
2) cut back the weeds to ground level.
3) put a green manure around the trunk eg nettles (without roots) dock leaves comfrey leaves ect, but make sure you leave a gap of 3 inches or so from the trunk.(can't remeber why but sure there was good reason :roll: )
4)  Put straw on top, about 4 inches thick ( Hay is ok but will probably contain seeds of more unwanted weeds)
as selleka Says repeat once or twice a year until the trees and bushes are well etablished.  
Also wood chippings rob nitrogen from the soil just for info.
It certainly worked well Where I was.
Carlie
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

Re: Protecting new trees from weeds
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 22:00 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Last Autumn I made great preparations before planting an edible hedge of 50 saplings (Ithink they were called "whips".
I killed all the weeds on the 2 foot x 20 yards strip with WEEDOL, and then covered the whole strip with black Teram - as explained by you guys on this forum. Then I slit the black stuff and planted the trees by what I was told was the slit method. Then I covered most of it with grass cuttings.
Well I was so pleased when during Spring I saw almost all 50 coming to life and they are now doing OK ...................  :roll: Except
Masses of nasty weeds, including the dreaded Mare's tail and bindweed, are now threating all my beloved edible hedge.
 :idea: OK, I have painted the mare's tail and bindweed as explained on another string. But I need advice on my next plan:
I want to strip the bottom 2 feet on all the trees, of their leaves, lift all the black stuff and blast the whole lot with weedol or round-up. The assumption is that the weedol only kills when it hits the greenery.
Will the trees be OK for they have plenty foliage higher up.
Then after all the weeds die, I'll put the black teram back but this time I've been told to cover it with a thick layer of wood chippings.
Well, that's the idea ............... Do you think it will work :?:  :D
I don't understand how the weeds have come through the Teram - can you please explain.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 00:38 »
I've done pretty much what the others have done, but I go one further in putting in some plastic edging at least 4" tall to detour the weed roots away from my precious trees. Since yours is in a row, then trench out a line the depth of your edging, drop it in so it shows at the surface, pack in both sides. Then weed out within your 2 ft strip. I find it works well enough to keep out 95% of weed roots, but not seeds floating in on the wind.  Mulch and whatever after that.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: Protecting new trees from weeds
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 15:58 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I don't understand how the weeds have come through the Teram - can you please explain.

HI WG :)
I had made slits in the Teram and planted the trees though the slits.
The evil ones just grew up though the slits when I wasn't looking.
Jim

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Protecting brassicas

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 02:37
by iwantanallotment
xx
Protecting my seedlings.

Started by drummerboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 22:34
by Ann
xx
protecting crops

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 12:31
by ruffmesiter_69

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 38 queries.