Japanese Onions

• 5 Replies

littleoldme

Japanese Onions
« on: July 20, 2007, 15:08 »
Hi, I'm very new to gardening so forgive any amateurish questions.  

I would like to grow Japanese onions.  They say to sow them in mid August straight into the prepared ground.

My dilemma is I am renting and so shouldn't really dig up the garden.  I was hoping to grow them in pots or poly pots, but as I have no idea as to how big they will get or how much soil they will need I'm not sure if this is the way to go.  Also how many onions would I get from each plant, would I need many large pots in the garden?  

I was planning on sowing the seeds in little pots and then transplanting to the larger pots, is this okay to do?  And could I start now if I start them off in little pots in my plastic greenhouse?

Thanks for any help in advance

WG.

Japanese Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 22:05 »
One onion from one plant (get sets, not seeds).

I've never grown them in pots & would be concerned that the entire pot might freeze solid (you don't say where you are to tell me if this is a likely scenario for you).

If you try it, I'd suggest a minimum of 5 litres compost per plant

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Japanese Onions
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 19:02 »
they are pretty big,too big for pots i'd think ,weve just picked ours and they were grapefruit sized.

littleoldme

Japanese Onions
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 21:16 »
Hi Guys, thanks for replying.

The seeds are on the way but looking into it more I see that growing onions isn't practical without a large area to plant in.  

I've just got the gardening bug now, with herbs and tomatoes, and was hoping to grow another vegetable.  Are there any other vegetables that can be planted in pots and around this time of year by any chance?  

Wow grapefruit size?  That's impressive! :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Japanese Onions
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 21:55 »
Yes Loads .
Carrots -choose short stumpy quick growing ( summer) type.( Harvest before frosts)
Salad-cut and come again/ Rocket / Lambs lettuce ( need some protection outside in cooler weather)
Beetroot - thin out to reach globe size ( no good after frost)
Radish- quick growing( no good after frost)
Spinach-sow every couple of weeks ( need protection once weather cools )
Herbs -Basil ( up till frosts outside but better inside if the summer is wet and cool)
Never tried greens in pots but I think you could do some spring cabbage plants or dwarf Kale ( no protection needed except netting for butterflies in summer ?? and pigeons ! )

All these will need large pots , larger than a bucket !! and will need to be watered if we ever get any dry spells .

I'm sure others will suggest more.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

brucesgirl

Japanese Onions
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 19:46 »
We've grown pak-choi in pots, and rocket, and dwarf frech beans as well, our blueberries are in pots also

xx
Japanese onions

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 18:41
by Remy
xx
Japanese Onions...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 15:52
by noshed
xx
japanese onions

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 22:17
by Minty
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 21:11
by yummy

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.