Courgette plants yellowing

• 5 Replies

brinylon

« on: May 06, 2007, 21:39 »
This is my first summer growing and I had some really healthy looking courgette plants. I planted them out a fortnight ago and now the leaves are starting to turn yellow. Is this normal? What can I do?

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 21:56 »
Reckon it'll be the shock of planting them out.  Were they hardened off?

In any event, put a cloche or fleece over them for a few days (and certainly nights).

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 23:02 »
I think this good weather has lulled into a false sense, high temps during the day and at night  not far of freezing at night and as WG says they are probably freezing their little (well u know what off) at night, I have only just sown mine and it will be towards the end of the month when they go out.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:55 »
Agree the cold nights and any cold wind will stop them in their tracks , the same with toms, cucs, sweetcorn, climbing beans .They will carry on growing, if you cover with fleece but the yellow leaves will die back as the new growth develops .Next time be patient , keep them indoors till june ,sow later so you dont have huge plants to put out, smaller plants adapt to new growing positions  better in my experience.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

brinylon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:55 »
Ahaa thinking about it, the greener ones had the cloche over them - the yellowy ones didn't. As far as hardening tghem off, I had them in an outdoor mini green(well plastic)house. I kept some back in case things went wrong - should I actually leave them out of the greenhouse altogether in a few weeks? They are getting huge. Grumpy person on allotment did warn us about going too quick!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 17:20 »
If the plants are getting too big for the pots, transplant to bigger pots .
You could try training them up a cane stuck in the pot , at least they wont be trailing all over the place then.
Too early to plant out yet though, unless you have a sheltered spot, even then cover with fleece to protect from drops in temp.
 Hardening off , leave outside in day time for few days then at night too before moving them to their growing position.

xx
Yellowing tomato plants

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:26
by gobs
xx
Yellowing leaves on tomato plants

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 22:36
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Yellowing tomato plants (pics)

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 18:35
by mebanana
xx
Potato plants withering, yellowing and leaves rotting

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 22:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 38 queries.