Where's Anastasia gone?

• 44 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Where's Anastasia gone?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 15:51 »
What no pictures of the proud dad, you will have the equal rights mob after you!   :wacko:

It wasn't a planned liaison and unfortunately she wasn't too choosy so it will be either her father Nicholas II or her bother Boris or both we will never know.  So I think I'll just draw a veil over that question :lol:

HF
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:11 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 17:22 »
least said, me thinks :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 16:28 »
Oh such a lovely post with lovely pics, made me smile.
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

daisy1990

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 16:39 »
just caught up with this post- lovely story- when can we expect to see pictures of the chicks?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

hillfooter

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 19:29 »
just caught up with this post- lovely story- when can we expect to see pictures of the chicks?

Tuesday or possibly Monday next week
HF

daisy1990

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 19:42 »
just in time for Easter- how lovely!

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 14:50 »
Any news on the chicks yet? :)

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 15:25 »
 ::) Look at her!  Bless!  That little madam!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 17:33 »
We've just got back from being away for a long weekend so our daughter Clare and my SIL Simon have been keeping an eye on the chickens.

I went straight up to see how Anastasia was doing to be greeted by one chick and sadly a second one which had managed to get itself trapped behind the nest tray, probably last night and had died without Mum to keep her warm.  Three of the remaining eggs had pipped.  Anway I got a couple of shots of the chick but I didn't want to disturb Anastasia too long from sitting on the eggs so I'll try and get some better shots later.

Sitting back on the remaining 5 eggs

HF

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 22:08 by hillfooter »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 20:46 »
Awww sorry to hear about the little one that got trapped HF, but hopefully the other 5 will be fine!  She is a lovely looking girl!

daisy1990

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 20:37 »
gorgeous pictures again- good luck with the rest

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 22:41 »
Of the three pipped eggs two hatched and one she obviously decided had died as she had abandoned it and the remaining two eggs which hadn't piped so 4 hatched out of seven and one of these died.  I think being a rather inexperienced Mum she didn't sit as tightly as she should especially at the end.  Also starting off with a clutch of 18 probably meant some had set earlier than others and I just had to choose the most likely 7 warmer ones to let her sit on till hatch so i'm not too surprised they didn't do as well as normal.

I'll get some more shots when she takes them out foraging.  Meamwhile the other new arrivals who came today Minnie and Maxine Carole's baby Saddlebacks.

HF

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 00:08 by hillfooter »

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02 »
HF, sorry to hear about the dead chick and the ones that didn't hatch, it's a shame.  I bet she will be great in the end and if they are as beautiful as her, you will have some fab girls running around.  I have to say that I am so jealous of you little piggies!!! They are absolutely fabulous!! :) :)

bantam novice

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 22:00 »
What a great story  :)
Sorry one chick didn't make it but at least she will have some to look after and teach.  I have a broody whose eggs are due to hatch any day now.  I haven't seen any pipping yet but I can't wait.  I haven't candled any but I am hoping that at least some of the ten she is on are viable as she hasn't rolled any out.  We shall see  ::)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 17:48 »
Well as it was Easter Sunday and a glorious day the family came round to exchange Easter eggs and look at the new arrivals.  Although the two baby Saddleback pigs were the stars of the show Anastasia's Easter chicks were a close second so it gave me an opportunity to get a couple more shots.  It was also a momentous ocassion for Isabella our little Granddaughter who took her first steps yesterday.

Isabella meets the chicks.

Then we all sat down for lunch on the terrace and Miles and I tried out my first (in a long time) excursion into brewing, Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge.  After lunch I was going to let Anastasia take the chicks a little further a field as they had been confined in the house and attached run up to now but  .............. what're those birds circling overhead!

Three Red Kites!

They are all in this much magnified shot the two not so clear are top left and bottom right.

Well that's put an end to thoughts of allowing the chicks out today.  Maybe tomorrow.

HF

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 17:50 by hillfooter »

xx
Anastasia beat up the dog......

Started by Dominic on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 12:27
by Dominic
xx
Anastasia's Chicks 10 weeks

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:34
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 38 queries.