Livestock Market

• 33 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Re: Livestock Market
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 13:39 »
Well done Nerdle!  They sound lovely.  Looking forward to seeing the photos when you catch them!  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
The mealworm miracle!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 20:57 »
Well - back earlier than planned and mealworms were greedlily snatched from my hand so huge improvement.  Tomorrow a mealworm trail will lead them out into the garden I hope :)
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54 »
Be careful if they won't let you handle them you might find they take flight and escape.  Speaking from experience with turkey poults, it is a nightmare finding a retrieving them.   ::) :lol:

My 2 new girls are still in their own run and I have had them 19 days.  I would hate to let them out and lose them.  When I do let them out I will do it near their bed time and have some meal worms handy to entice them back to bed.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 12:13 »
Thank you.  They happily followed the mealworm trail out this am (my small garden is foxproof) and are now eating corn out of my hand. I think they know where their bedroom is and I've got my eye on them.  How I'll teach them to use the treadle feeder I don't know!

It has occurred to me that I have been too hasty and these will never be really tame.  My last two were on my lap all the time so I'm surprised.  8 week chicks would have been better really.  I can always sell them at next month's market - lets see.

Forgot to thank you Splash for your guidance - it was all good advice.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33 »
No names yet...
a.jpg
b.jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:58 »
The are beautiful nerdle, are they LF or bantams?

I would give them some time to get used to you, it is really early days.  I have young birds that run a mile so it isn't always to do with age.  Try not giving them any treats until bed time just in case they don't want to go to bed.   ;)

splash101

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 13:05 »
Wow, they are stunning.

I wouldnt give up just yet, i've had chickens that wouldnt even eat out of my hand.

They are lovely looking though.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 13:42 »
They are beautiful - a lovely choice :)

I'm sure with patience they will tame just keep perserveering (had my cat 4 years before she'd sit on anyone's lap - ok she's a cat not a chicken, I'm sure it won't take as long!)

Hannah :)

helens-hens

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 17:02 »
Really lovely hens, nerdle. I am no expert but they look a couple of weeks away from POL, still quite young.

My Welsummer now about 7 months old is still very nervous of me but I am hoping that now with the weather improving, I can spend a bit more time in the garden and get her a bit tamer.

Allow yourself plenty of time if you are putting them back in their run if you are going out. Mine seem to know when I am in a rush (they must spot me glaring at my watch) and will go anywhere bar where they are supposed to! I find it best to put the treats in the run and then quietly let them find their own way in.

Has any sort of pecking order been established yet?
Helen

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 19:14 »
Hello again
They came from the same seller (quite by chance)! so they know each other and they roam as a pair. I think the cream one is in charge as I saw her peck the other one once but they are best friends otherwise. Four eggs so far - three pointy an done roundish so both laying I think.  Will there combs get bigger and redder?

Huge step forward today.  Wonder if I could still get an 8 week chick - would they accept one more and would it be vulnerable to bullying?

My entire garden (farmyard more like) is the run so I can let them roam when I go out :)

splash101

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 19:38 »
I dont think wyandotte's have a big pointy sticky up comb, my daughter says their comb looks like a squashed brain instead.
Dont know about the other breed.

pepsi100

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 20:29 »
Nice looking birds and rewarding you with eggs already  :)

Mine dont feed from my hand, but run to the back door when ever they see me  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 20:50 »
As splash says the Wyandotte don't have a big comb (think it is called a pea comb) but it will get redder. 

If you are getting younger pullets I would advise at least 2 or you may have problems when introducing to the others.   ;)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
the plot thickens...
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11 »
Just had a chat with local breeder and he agrees that its best to raise chicks if I want tame girls.  It's lap hens I want really ....so..........I've reserved two cages for the next sale (£3.20).  If we have a good month and I want to keep them I'll alert the auctioneers and let the cage space go to other sellers.

I just didn't think of it and I've learned a lesson.  No real harm done I hope.

pepsi100

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 12:17 »
Never heard of lap hens, I just thought that when they were chicks you just handled them a lot, hand feed them, a few treats, thats all my grand daughter did

xx
pets or livestock?

Started by dizzylizzie on Chicken Chat

51 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 22:17
by joyfull
xx
Livestock = deadstock too :(

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 21:10
by hillfooter
xx
Overheard at a Farmers' Market

Started by gillie on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 08:23
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 35 queries.