More rotavator help please

• 21 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« on: February 14, 2007, 14:45 »
Following your advice I got my flymo Rotavator working quiet easy thanks, but can't work out whether the belt is to loose or I'm missing a bit !
I've posted a couple of photos one with the belt cover on , one off. There does not seem to be any tension on the belt when I pull on the clutch lever. May be the belts just stretched? As When I start it the tines spin rather slowly and when I squeeze the handle they don't seem to go any faster I have tried increasing the tension in the cable but no change.

Another question regarding fuel, the fuel I took out was really oily like 2 stroke but it says 4 cycle on the engine so that's 4 stroke isn't it see original post I put lrp in it and it worked straight off.

Thanks
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 15:30 »
the wheel on the right should come forwards onto the belt and make it tight ,is there any more adjustment available to increase the wheels travel . the belt could be wrong size or stretched to far im thinking its to long a belt
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 15:40 »
Yes I've tried adjusting the movement of the little wheel can't seem to get any more out of it,it still looks loose as its turning I assume it''s like a car fan belt on reasonably tight. The belt was new fitted at last service 1998 according to the ticket onit, its not ran since then, but did what you said and it's running like a good un.
the belts a qualcast one so i'd imagine its pretty easy to get still.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 17:17 »
the bottom of that cable dont look right to me.
the moveable jockey wheel/pulley looks in the photo to have a flat profile, rather than a v profile. that would suggest that it is ment to be pull in the oppersite direction against the outside of the belt, rather than from the inside out.
can you put a pic up of the cables end ect?

shaun

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 18:13 »
know what your saying graham i just cant see how that wheel would tighten the belt up  :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 19:57 »
the flat profile is correct mate i seen em on the older machines its made to grip with friction as it tensions ,the belt definatly looks suspect and being serviced 10 yrs back id have a new one anyways ,

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 22:26 »
:oops:  OK 1st off I got to admit to a booboo here fella's that jockey wheel goes on the left hand side not the right  :oops: It was not until I found some witness marks from the cable etc I realised. But it still don't work much better, the little jockey wheel does have a flat profile, I think the belt has just stretched to much, so how do I find the correct length or shall I get the same belt thats on there which is a qualcast one ?
Here's a pic of the whole cable run, the clutch is simply a lever with a spring followed by a little length of flat chain and then the cable itself, which runs at the back of the top pulley

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 22:32 »
take the belt off go to car parts shop and find a a belt that is same lenght as u have then go about 1. 1/2 inch shorter  take the adjuster back to the lowest point put the belt on and adjust up to fit ,if you find you still have a lot of slack take the belt back and go an inch shorter until you get the right size .qualcast make spares for thier machines only if memoery serves  so its probably the wrong belt anyways , qwiz may offer some more advice on this as well mate , remember a to tight  belt is werse than a to slack one  and more expensive

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 05:32 »
whoa fella!!
dont get the same belt!
i know i was tired last night, but to miss that, i must have been comatose.
there is no way in this life, or the next that your belt should have qualcast written on it. qualcast and flymo are two different companys, always were, always will be. they dont talk to each other let alone share parts. you need to find an original belt, to get the right size. i did a posting on here a while back about belts, i wonder if i mentioned flymo dm`s.

the answer is no, i just had a look.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:24 »
Thanks fellas, I was pretty sure that the qualcast belt thingy was not right. Can't see an adjuster on it, the top drive wheel does come off via a grub screw, so perhaps you are meant to take that off to fit the right belt ? Think I will go and experiment on it, going to do a google to see if I can get a new belt thats the exact fit, if not off to the car parts shop.
Thanks again
Rich

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:37 »
I've just found a company who seem to have all sorts of drive belts etc for garden machinery they are http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk
 I thought I would post it as it might help others looking for belts etc but not sure what their prices are like yet.

Gwiz

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 15:52 »
fantastic site.
well done mate.
that info will be very usefull to all. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 16:07 »
They have just quoted me £10.58 inc VAT & delivery to mainland UK for the flymo dm drive belt, Don't think it's bad value as I assume it will be a perfect fit.

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 16:55 »
thats not bad at all in my most humble.... :D

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 14:54 »
Hi, I've just got one of these flymo's. My "go" wheel (you can tell I'm a girl!) is on the opposite side than the picture, but I have a sneaking suspision the we both have a bit missing. The cable then either goes over the top of the crank, not good, or under it where is still really close. I think that there should be a jockey wheel in the big threaded hole directly above where the "go" wheel is in the picture. then the cable would be clear of the crank. Does anybody know for sure?
Someone take the spanners away from me!

xx
Rotavator

Started by desford on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 22:43
by johnfh
xx
rotavator Id please

Started by philymon on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 17:49
by philskin
question
jcb rotavator

Started by btibbs on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2015, 19:15
by btibbs
xx
I got a rotavator I got a rotavator Can any one help

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 06:43
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.