Question about incubating

• 4 Replies

michael85

Question about incubating
« on: January 22, 2013, 19:55 »
Perhaps a silly question but...

I have one of these incubators as pictured below, Im sure many of you know the type, a polystirene box with a light, fan and thermostat on the top. It can take about 20 eggs layed out on the bottom.

My question is, if I can make a shelf or a rack, perhaps a bit like an oven shelf, could I have 20 more eggs above the 20 in the bottom of the incubator? I wonder weather the shade created by the top eggs would affect the temperature of the eggs at the bottom. Even if that wasnt to be a problem I realise that an chicken hatching onto an oven shelf is perhaps asking for broken legs, hence its possibley a silly question!

Any advice, thoughts apreciated. Thanks

Craigx

• Experienced Member
Re: Question about incubating
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 23:14 »
Hey...

I must admit i used to use one of these, and its the worst thing i ever used, if you get multiple  thermonitors u will see the temp ranges so much, and fluxuating temps does not help hatches!

but higher-ing eggs from the floor, will increase the heat when the light bulb is on..

The words iv spelt wrong, spell checker couldnt help :(
Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 00:10 »
I had one of these, worst thing

I ever bought, I had so much trouble just trying to get it up to temperature, I even put in another lamp, but taking the lid odd to turn the eggs made a mess of the temperatures and humidity, it took ages to get back up

I never had anything hatch out, but they were fully developed, just dead in shell

I wouldnt tell you to get rid of it though, you may have better luck than I did, be good to hear how you get on with it

But as they say 'Dont put all your eggs in one incubator'

I have seen a couple on ebay that look pretty good, just depends how much you want to spend and how many eggs you want to hatch at one time

I got this for 50 quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-EGG-INCUBATOR-FULLY-AUTOMATIC-TURNER-9-CHICKEN-24-QUAIL-EGGS-/230900045822?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item35c2b717fe

I just saw this one, but cant comment how good it is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JN7-56-220V-160W-56-Set-Poultry-Semi-Automatic-Digital-Incubator-Egg-Turner-/120970491865?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item1c2a6737d9

But if I was going to hatch over 50 eggs, I'd buy it, seems a prety good price, but others may disagree ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

michael85

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 19:58 »
Im suprised you guys don't like them. I hatched chicken eggs in it last year and 14 out of 18 hatched, and I dont think they came from a farmer who was particularly bothered about keeping similar breeds together.

Anyway to change the subject slightly Im going to try hatching Quails eggs in it next.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 20:05 »
All, I can do is wish you good luck
I tried it, never worked, there was various breeds I tried, they all died
Be interesting to hear how you get on
As they say (again) horses for courses, if you like it, use it regardless of what others say or think

xx
Power Outage while incubating eggs - Candling question

Started by kentishlad on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 09:25
by kentishlad
xx
egg incubating day 16

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 20:15
by AL Hathaway
xx
day 19 of egg incubating

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 14:56
by redspookycooky
xx
Incubating

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 23:46
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.