What the law regarding selling day old chicks? or POL?

• 6 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
What the law regarding selling day old chicks? or POL?
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:52 »
Hi all, Happy new year (I dont think its too late to say that)

I am wondering if someone can tell what the law is regarding selling day old chicks and POL chickens fom my front door. Im starting to sell eggs to local villagers however I have had the odd request asking if I can get chicks or sell chickens. So far I have said none are for sale but I shall possibly be hatching in the future. So do I hatch to order? Also if I sell POL do I have to make sure they are laying or just sell them at a set age where they will be about to lay?
Am I required by law to vaccinate my chicks or POL's I sell? And finally isn't it a little wrong selling a day old chick? could all the transport and tempreture change kill the chick? Surely it would be better to sell them at 3days old?

Also a local cafe has expressed an interest in my eggs however I said im not too sure on the law and didnt want to get into trouble. She shrugged her shoulders and said shes happy to take the eggs still, so will I be doing anything wrong by selling her the eggs?

Sorry for all the questions  :D Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What the law regarding selling day old chicks? or POL?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05 »
first of all you can only sell your eggs to the end user - so selling to a local food establishment is not allowed. If you wish to do that you will have to register with Defra and then get your place inspected and your packing station registered.
Why do they want to buy day old chicks? Some want them to raise and then sell on but others want them as food for reptiles.
POL is a term used to describe a pullet and can mean anything from 12 weeks old up to 24, they do not have to be actually laying although if you want to be absolutely sure that the bird is a hen then waiting is best.
You are not obliged to vaccinate your birds but you should point out the fact that they haven't been done.
In my opinion I think you are best just selling any spares rather than breeding to order - who is to say that you will hatch hens and not just cockerels?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52 »
Also some people want the 1 day olds to put under a broody hen :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48 »
Thankyou for the replies :)

Can anyone tell me some rough prices I should expect to charge for a day old chick and a POL? All my POL's are hybrids so far but shall be looking to do some pure breds later in the year.

I shall look into the DEFRA packaging thing to see how much hassle it is. There are a few resuraunts and cafes in the area that could make it worthwhile.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 13:27 »
A guy in Surbiton (where I bought my chicks) has a fairly thriving business, he is DEFRA registered, he sells Day olds and various ages of birds, various breeds, but he said he couldnt make a living at it and it messes up holidays, weekends, he is pretty up front about it, he knows people want hens, so he kils the cocks and freezes them for reptiles and such, I dont know if he sells them live for them
I 'll drop you a PM with his website address, and contact number
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:56 »
Thankyou for the replies :)

Can anyone tell me some rough prices I should expect to charge for a day old chick and a POL? All my POL's are hybrids so far but shall be looking to do some pure breds later in the year.

I shall look into the DEFRA packaging thing to see how much hassle it is. There are a few resuraunts and cafes in the area that could make it worthwhile.

It really depends on what part of the country you are in. I have usually paid £10 for Light Sussex but more for cream and Cotswold legbars, spangled Hamburgs at £15  all at POL . I am in North Yorkshire :)
I would expect to pay less for POL hybrids and much, much less for day old chicks. :)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54 »
They are a lot more than that down south, and there arent many places I can find that sell POL or chicks, up to 5 days old

xx
selling chicks

Started by Chompie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 23:10
by Chookster
xx
selling eggs

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 17:27
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Selling like Hot cakes

Started by slowef on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 09:26
by Jellyhead
question
selling eggs

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 00:19
by jobson336

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 36 queries.