Help poorly chicken

• 7 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Help poorly chicken
« on: May 21, 2009, 14:31 »
I have come home this afternoon to Tikka standing on her own making a horrible rasping noise and bubbly eye!!  :( Another is also making sneezing noises! and sounds like she has a sore throat!  :( have got an appointment at 9.10am tomorrow morning but am worried as they were all healthy and happy this morning but in a matter of hours Tikka now looks very sorry for herself  :( could it be an upper respritary infection or the dreaded mycoplasma???? what can i do while i wait to get her to the vet???????

Debbie  :(
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vember

Re: Help poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 14:51 »
Oh CL :(  Sorry about Tikka :(

I don't think there is much you can do until you get her to the vets.

Keep her away from the little one's if possible, make sure she has food & water with acv and loads of TLC :)

Sarah :)

Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 14:53 »
One thing I have learnt with any kind of poorly chick is keep them warm, vettold me when they feel unwell they are very succeptable to hyperthermia.

Good luck chicken lady, sending possitive thoughts and hugs from here.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 14:56 »
oh dear, fingers crossed for you at the vets.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 16:04 »
hubby coming home now as i have appt at vets at 4.20pm today! she looks like she is gasping!! and the one eye is foamy

Fingers crossed :(

Debbie xxx

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 19:47 »
Vet said that symtoms were similar to mycoplasma but also lots of others infections are the same as well as viral ones so couldnt be sure! Tikka got antibiotic injection and i got baytryl for the others at least 4 others are making the grumbly noises and sneezing but all are lively and eating/drinking etc (sounds like they have sore throats)
When i gave Annie her dose she started standing really funny almost like she was sitting down!! ??? I then noticed she had struggled so much and coughed and prolapsed herself!  :( let her wander around the garden a bit and after i had dosed all the others i looked again and it had sorted itself  :mellow:
Fingers crossed the antibiotics work and its just a bad cold!!  :( will be scrubbing out the house tomorrow and will get some stanelasone (spelling sorry) and do the run!
that will teach me for feeling smug the other day saying to my boss my girls are all so healthy!  >:(
Debbie x

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 21:46 »
fingers crossed Debbie, sounds as if you have caught it early enough but I am no expert and am nursing poorly chick as well so any support you need give us a shout.

Get well soon Chickenladys chickens.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 21:46 »
Dont worry CL, Baytril is a very effective antibiotic. :) It might also help to give double the amount of ACV in their water, plus some natural yogurt. The drier weather we have should help too.
A tip when your chicks hatch, always see to the youngest birds first in the day, to prevent cross contamination. ;) If you can scrounge a little extra Baytril from the vet, it always helps too, just to have on standby.
Stay calm it will all be OK!! Have you had that glass of wine yet?? :D

xx
Poorly chicken

Started by debih on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:35
by debih
xx
Poorly Chicken ~ Please Help!

Started by Richardm on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:49
by Selkie
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick
xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.