I hate myself!

• 20 Replies

compostqueen

Re: I hate myself!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 23:08 »
My friend was saying the other day that she forgot to lock up her girls and had to get out of bed and go out at about 1.00 am to lock them in. The first time you forget is when the fox calls  :(  it's very traumatic and I feel for you I really do  :(

Flowerpower136

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 11:07 »
Heavens above, what a nightmare.

When I first got my girls I was paranoid about foxes (thanks to this site!), so went to town on defenses, result is that my girls can't free range in the garden, which really bothers me as they are ex batts.  But tales such as this just convince me that what I've done is the best for them.

We are rural and hear foxes all the time.

So sorry for all your losses.

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:08 »
Heavens above, what a nightmare.

When I first got my girls I was paranoid about foxes (thanks to this site!), so went to town on defenses, result is that my girls can't free range in the garden, which really bothers me as they are ex batts.  But tales such as this just convince me that what I've done is the best for them.

We are rural and hear foxes all the time.

So sorry for all your losses.

So sorry too, it's always so distressing when a moments loss of vigilence results in tragidy.

I think you've put your finger on something there flowerpower.  We're also in a rural location and although we know we are surrounded by foxes we rarely see them in the day and they usually give people a wide berth.  If they see us they usually disappear into a hedge.  We've only ever lost 2 chx to a fox and that was when we used to allow them to free range in the fields next to their run with no protecting net or fences.  Since then they've been behind a 1.2m electric net with no problems. I've even occasionally forgotten to lock their houses or given it a miss when we've been out for the evening with no losses though I wouldn't recommend it.  I have auto door control now so this doesn't happen.  The more wary nature of rural foxes and the availability of so much wild prey such as rabbits, mice & voles, wood pidgeon and pheasants I believe spares our chx.

The last line of defence is the fox deterant I spray around their net after a night at the pub.

Best of luck and for the future plan a fool proof system which doesn't depend on unerring human vigilence as one day as sure as eggs is eggs you'll forget or be unable to see to them.  We all do it.
HF
Truth through science.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 18:31 »
I am so sorry for your loss.  What a nightmare.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 19:21 »
Ar tartuffe what a shame, bloomin Mr Fox they are needless killers arent they. I think we can all learn from your sad mistake though, my run is mr fox proof but I still wouldnt risk it .  :(
if wishes were changes.......

rw3272

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 17:26 »
Well fancy meeting you here Nicky ;)  Glad to hear that you have got some more chooks, the garden just isn't the same without when you are used to them.  I have 6 copper black maran eggs (and 6 anconas) sitting in the incubator atm... Black Tans are taking over the universe!

Foxes are a blooming nuisance, I found fox poo by our hen house the other day, thankfully they were shut away and he didn't get too creative about getting in.  It does make you think though.

ETA: its me mrs prizzybram (Rachael)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 17:29 by rw3272 »

xx
one thing I hate about keeping chickens

Started by Mrs Bee on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 18:54
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.