Time for a re-think

• 3 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Time for a re-think
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:33 »
About germinating courgette and cukes. My old tried and trusted method has failed me this year, think the seed mybe a little dodgy as a fellow lottyman is having the same problem with the same variety.
So my thoughts were to dust off the heated propogator and stick em in, still no joy, not one single solitary seed germinated.

So me re-think is to try and chit them, has anybody tried this? Works for beans, corn, spuds and snips so can't see why not for cukes and courgettes.
Thoughts peeps.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Time for a re-think
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:36 »
go for it Aidy, at least you will know if the seed is duff......let us know how you get on :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:04 »
Is your fellow lottyman sowing from the same batch of seed and/or in the same compost as you are?

As you already know neither of these is usually difficult to germinate so your chitting experiment would test the viability of the seed.

If your compost has already successfully been used to germinate other seeds this year then it probably isn't that, if not, sowing in different compost would eliminate that as a potential cause.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 13:45 »
No probs germinating in compost with other seeds, brassica, toms, chillies etc all up ok. Me thinks it is more likely the seeds but thought chitting might work, I get better results when I chit corn.
Again last year everyone on site was complaining about the corn and carrot seed.
Will pop some in the box and see what happens.

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Looks like my time is up

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2020, 11:12
by Grubbypaws
xx
How Much Time?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 22:40
by gobs
xx
Definitely the last time. . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 21:07
by smilydog

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.