Advice please on removing grass.

• 48 Replies

Riala

Re: Advice please on removing grass.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48 »
I may have solved it... I am on day 8 of the Gardner v's Ninja/SAS/Uber-powerful-immune-to-everything Cats.  and so far, only 1 visitor that my other half chased off!

I put the stone/gravel back down again with the slabs (will take a pic later if the rain let's up) and I put them spikey things on the wall, trellis on my gate (iron gate).  Also invested in some industrial strength mothballs, all are up high so little one can not reach, but in places where the cats have been entering the garden.

Also have 6 of them Scardy Cat plants growing, 4 in wall baskets along the wall they walk along to get in (this is IF they bypass the spikeys some how) and two in pots in the garden where they preferred doing their business.

First night of rain, so garden might smell less... mothbally... so tonight will be the challenge!

--------------------------------

On a side note, I want to thank everyone immensley for all the advice and support they have given me, I really have tried absolutely everything (except rifles which I will never do) to try and deter these damn cats.  So far, an amalgamation of all ideas seem's to be working!

Again, my Thanks!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 11:59 »
Riala I forgot to point you in the direction of Henry's handy hints No 5  :wacko:
They may help our Henry's a good 'un and much missed by those of us that know him

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/garden-hints/index.php
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Riala

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 13:46 »
Yep, we tried Jeyes Fluid, they seem Immune to it, and Olbas, and Vicks (smeared it on the gate where they kept coming in).

Still no sign of them yet today :D

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 14:48 »
Hope that's sorted it.  I did wonder whether it might be worth investing in a covered litter tray yourself, put in a secluded spot in the garden, on the basis that if you can't deter the cats it might be better to provide them with a nice cosy spot out of the way of your plants and any children.  Obviously that would mean you'd have to spend time and effort looking after someone else's cats, but it's a lot more pleasant picking up cat poo from cat litter than from plants.  Hopefully you won't need to try, though!

oakfairy

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 17:26 »
theres a herb called rue. cats hate it!! its quite nice foliage, nothing spectacular though. however, handle with gloves as the leaves can be an irritant if you're sensative. research it first though, not the best plant to have around if you're pregnant.
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm (winston churchill)

Riala

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 23:39 »
Thanks for the advice about the herb. I did know about it, but i have a 2year old, so I can not really have anything that may cause irritation to his skin.

Stree

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 00:24 »
They hate being squirted with washing up water.
They have to lick it off.
They dont come back often.

Riala

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28 »
As I have said many times, they come in the middle of the night, so squirting them is not really an option.

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 16:02 »
I had to laugh when I tried putting out mothballs to deter pesky chipmunks which took residence close to my veg garden. I put the mothballs on the brassica bed where they kept pulling out the plants as well as in the gap in a pile of wood (which can't be moved for a while) where they liked to hide. I checked next day to see if it was working and found the little beasts had tossed out the mothballs from their hiding area. guess they didn't like the smell  :lol:

Swing Swang

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 08:37 »
It really annoys me that I have to spend money to keep a neighbours pet away, and if you work/are out during the day the waterpistol option is not really viable. However if they're good 'ratters' I'll tolerate them, especially when the neighbour complains that her cat brings home unwanted presents and leaves them on the carpet.

Now if they're 'birders' only then I'll start ranting again.

SS

Riala

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49 »
The cats that are still coming into my garden (yep, they bypassed everything and messed in my newly sown beetroot patch, complete with worms or something nasty looking in the poo as well!!)are birders, they are constantly chasing the pair of blackbirds that are nesting in the old chimney pots of the house backing ours.

We have spent into triple figures now trying to stop these Ninja cats.

Yabba

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05 »
I raised the outside of my veg beds ( with pallets of course :D ) and then put some netting on, so far it's kept our cat off.

¥

Riala

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 14:29 »
I do not have a garden as such, just a couple of them mini greenhouse's and pots on the floor :(

I do not have space for a raised bed  :wacko:

Yabba

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 14:37 »
My whole garden's less than 20' square :tongue2:

If you want to stop them getting in your greenhouses you could put a net over the doorway, you'd need a slightly finer mesh though as they could squeeze through the size I have.

¥

vetskh

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 14:46 »
My friend swears by a product called 'silent roar' The product info is as follows:
"The pellets are soaked in real essence of lion dung and are then dried and sterilised. As cats are territorial, even the bravest of pussies will retreat when they smell a lion has been there first. This is an environmentally friendly product and contains no artificial chemicals.

Typically you would spread the pellets about 3-4 inches apart. During normal weather conditions one application might last up to three months. After heavy rain it's a good idea to sprinkle a few more pellets to boost the scent.

A good tip is to always handle the pellets with gloves. This is not because the pellets are harmful; it's just that if you let human scent "contaminate" the pellets the local cats may be less wary.

The British BBC TV program "Watchdog" conducted a test of cat repellents in August 2000. Silent Roar came out top. Just 3 hours after application no cats visited the garden!"

a no of outlets stock it.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/tools/pest-control/silent-roar-lion-manure/classid.2000004185/
http://www.dobbies.co.uk/acatalog/silent-roar-cat-deterant.html

Its not very expensive and probably worth a try if you haven't already. let us know how you get on.

xx
wheelie bin grass box . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 23:07
by daveinmanc
xx
Raised bed straight onto grass

Started by The Singing Gardener on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 00:01
by oakfairy
xx
Do I need to cut grass/weeds before covering with fabric?

Started by lcarduk on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 15:30
by cadalot
xx
Advice please for starting up. Have land and need advice before we start.

Started by mairistephen on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 23:20
by mairistephen

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.