above ground pond

• 11 Replies

tinlizzy

above ground pond
« on: August 04, 2008, 18:11 »
I fancy an above ground pond on what is laughingly called the patio!   I've seen some on line that have wood that interlocks, a bit like a log cabin but they are rather pricey and I do wonder if they would be strong enough when full of water.  

Has anyone made a pond like this?   I don't know how to lay bricks so although a brick build one would be nice that's out of the question.   As I'm a weak and feeble woman I need something that's easy to do.   I saw some raised beds at the garden centre that were made from 6"x2" timber, would that work if they were four rows high, then lined with a pond liner?   I'd like it about 6'x4'.

Any ideas, as cheap as possible please.

compostqueen

above ground pond
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 18:14 »
a wooden barrel (half) can be used as a pond

I have a galvanised lotty water butt which I've put pond plants and a fountain in. Also on the plot I've a large plastic tank (the type that goes in the loft) and I fancy turning that into a raised pond.

tinlizzy

above ground pond
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 19:21 »
I've seen a half barrel, the biggest I can find is 3' diameter, I really wanted something bigger, but that might have to do.

Bear

above ground pond
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:42 »
I'm working on a similar idea at the moment.

I've thought about a galvanised water trough - but couldn't find one of the sort of size I want - and thay seem to be very expensive.

I've looked at moulded plastic tubs etc but again very expensive.

I have a number of offcuts from new oak sleepers that I used for raised beds - I'm thinking of using them as you say - to build a frame and then line it with pond liner.

They should be really strong - I'm not sure if 2" timber would be strong enough.

tinlizzy

above ground pond
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:22 »
Thanks, I think I might have to give up wanting a raised pond as it seems to be getting a bit expensive.    Sleepers would cost quite a lot, I don't expect 6x2 is cheap either!   Back to the drawing board unless anyone comes up with a cheaper alternative.    Let us know how you get on with your pond.

compostqueen

above ground pond
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28 »
I got the plastic tank for nothing from a plumber. They take them out when they put combi boilers in. You could ask on Freecycle

I was thinking of sinking some of it, but it's huge so can't be bothered to sink the lot. Anyway on the lotty it would be safer to have the pond raised so no-one falls in it.  The sides could either have soil piled up round it, or timber or rocks etc, or incorporated into a seat of timber etc.  On the Allotment DVD they show you how they did theirs  :D

I got an off-cut of butyl for nothing from Alplas (online plastics company) when I ordered my black sheet mulch, which I used for making my lotty pond.  It wasn't a big piece but big enough for me to make a small pond.

tinlizzy

above ground pond
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:02 »
That's an idea, what size is it, please?

braders1234

• Experienced Member
above ground pond
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:05 »
I bought a very nice oak half barrell ast year to use as a patio pond, looked great but the water stunk and kept getting infected.   seemed to be something with the treatment of the wood. Did attempt to line t but was becoming despondent by then!

Did not have a pump in there.

Was a shame but is now an attractive plant pot!

Have seen a resin style half barrell that should not have the same problems as the wood one.

compostqueen

above ground pond
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 16:05 »
what size is the water tank do you mean?  I'll measure it next time I go up the plot  :D  

It's a good size and doesn't leak but the plumbers just skip em  :(

Fire2920

above ground pond
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 20:49 »
Ive had fish in a raised wooden tank lined with a pond liner for years. Loads of gold fish and a couple of koi in them.
Two tanks about 4 feet square and three feet deep, I dug one in a bit and cut a bit out so the water is pumped from the lower one into the top one and then it falls back down.
I like the idea of the water level being up high , you can see the fish better  :wink:

The wooden containers used to be planter outside a shopping center.
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

tinlizzy

above ground pond
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 18:05 »
That sounds great, any chance of a picture please?

Leaf

• Experienced Member
above ground pond
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 19:39 »
Sleepers, 6x2 or bricks are the obvious. shame you dont know a landscape gardener in essex called leafy
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

xx
My new pond

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

109 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 13:41
by smud6ie
xx
I've been given a pond.

Started by yorkiegal on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 10:59
by smud6ie
xx
pond

Started by edlomatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 22:05
by richyrich7
xx
establishing a pond,please help!!

Started by mickeyboy on Design and Construction

31 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 22:26
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 34 queries.